1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are discussions about autism allowed?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by circuskevin, Jan 24, 2020.

1. circuskevin

circuskevin Established commenter

Whad'ya think? ... :)

Jamvic likes this.
  2. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Are discussions about animals allowed?

Animals have four legs, brown fur and eat meat. You can tame animals by using a whistle. They like to be approached by people in green clothes, and only bite if you use the wrong tone of voice.

About as meaningful as some of the contributions I have read on here about autism

FormosaRed likes this.
  3. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

I have sometimes wondered why there isn’t a SEN forum.

Laphroig and needabreak like this.
  4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Excellent idea, it does seem to be the most obvious gap in the current 'professional' forums on here. As TES are still working on the new Forums maybe an SEN Forum could be added to the current list.

@mattf12345 @becky_m1995 any chance this could be added to the new forum?

5. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Another thread pulled? What happened? I leave this place for a second and it all goes *daft shaped.

Jamvic and grumpydogwoman like this.
  6. ShowerGel

ShowerGel Lead commenter

People should be allowed to say what they think otherwise what is the point of these forums?
    Why should anyone have to pussyfoot around for fear of the thread being pulled or that they may be banned.
    Can anyone else see how pointless that is? There is nothing worse than a sad little chat about nothing when you really have something important to say.
    I mean I often enjoy a bit o' banter but there is a time and a place...
    These forums should be giving people a chance to air strong opinions truthfully not be inane unless its specifically an inane thread.
    Nobody is just 'inane' and if they pretend to be so mild mannered may not be mentally healthy.

7. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

The OP explained (on this thread) that he had asked a total stranger if they thought their child was autistic. This was on the strength of a a very short social interaction with the child.

My response to this merely stated that I found his behaviour rude. It was removed, along with several others from other posters. The OP's post went too. Strong opinions didn't come into it.

I've no idea who reported what or even if anyone actually reported a post at all.

strawbs, Jamvic and BelleDuJour like this.
  8. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

Keep watching for the second video.

9. hs9981

hs9981 Established commenter

Watching the second video, coupled with my dodgy tummy almost lead to a disaster on my sofa!

The 'fire chicken' was a mistake.

10. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

So @circuskevin wrote on a thread that's been pulled that he said something to someone. Other people then piled in? Telling him he was rude? Thread was pulled? Is that the gist of it? But we shall never be told why. I assume it's because people were perhaps unkind to @circuskevin although I can hardly see HIM reporting them. He's far too robust. Or was CK punished for his allegedly aberrant behaviour which should never be featured on the hallowed pages for fear of giving the profession a bad rep?

It all sounds like a mountain that was once a storm in a teacup. Par for the course then!

With whom may one discuss autism? Fellow teachers on a forum such as this? Parents? Members of the public whose child strikes one as autistic and whose parents appear to be handling their behaviour poorly?

Three questions then.
    Three answers:
    Yes
    Yes
    Yes, but it needs careful handling. Very careful handling indeed and, if the desired effect is to get the parents to get the best help for the kid, probably will fail in a social setting unless you judge it right. Do they look like interested and receptive parents? Can you develop a trusting relationship in 10 minutes? So I probably wouldn't bother. But I wouldn't rule it out.

Jamvic likes this.
  11. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

I read the thread It wasn't a discussion about autism, it was about someone asking people if they or their child were autistic. On the basis of their own observations. Not in a professional setting. Unbidden.

I, for one, found this insensitive. Very recently, a friend had the wind knocked out of her sails by a newly appointed SENCO. Whilst walking down a corridor, away from these parents, said Senco told them their daughter was 'high functioning aspergers'. Not in a meeting, not in an q&a session, not in response to anything. Just dropped, like a grenade.

In a state of panic, they researched everything they could about autism, as did the daughter. Again, in panic they saw only the most extreme examples. The daughter became so distressed she began to self harm.

They found their own ed psych and she was formally assessed. Yes she's on the spectrum, she's high functioning but did that SENCO help? Over time, with her own natural curiosity she would have begun to ask questions and started her own journey. She may or may not have sought a diagnosis, it isn't compulsory.

12. circuskevin

circuskevin Established commenter

Hello @nizebaby ,

I regularly ask 'total strangers' if a child is autistic. These are usually parents or teachers at events I have my circus workshop at. It is usually a straight confirmation. I only have a short time with the groups so a quick confirmation of any kids with special needs helps me ensure they get the best out of a session.

I always check up on kids with special needs throughout the time to make sure they are continually involved.

Sometimes teachers tell me they have a child who is scared of clowns so even though I don't make up as one the child is brought to see me beforehand so they have nothing to be afraid of. :)

Kevin

Jamvic likes this.
  13. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

That is not how you expressed it in the thread that was pulled.

14. smilingisgoodforyou

smilingisgoodforyou Occasional commenter

I didn't see the original thread, but I agree with the poster asking for a SEN thread. It would be very useful.

Jamvic and needabreak like this.
  15. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Quite. It lead to nomad asking about Munchausen by Proxy which I found funny if not accurate at that point.

However we don't know circus Kevin who might themselves be on the spectrum and unable to converse on these threads in an 'acceptable' manner for all we know. If that were the case they'd be left bewildered as they appear to be now... just saying.

In the first thread there was the issue of undiagnosed adult autism was there not? Now that is surely a valid topic for discussion isn't it?

16. blazer

blazer Star commenter

The most surprising thing is that Kevin posted about something other than uni cycling!:p:confused::rolleyes:

17. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Wasn't there a poster called @autismuk who was often a useful person to post on this subject?

caress, bombaysapphire and Jamvic like this.
  18. nomad

nomad Star commenter

My aside (on the first thread to be removed- and rightly so) about Munchausen by Proxy was not in relation to the OP asking parents whether their children were autistic, but in relation to the OP apparently 'diagnosing' some adults as autistic. How anyone can do that without qualifications and undertaking the appropriate tests is, well..., interesting!

caress, strawbs, Wotton and 4 others like this.
  19. colacao17

colacao17 Occasional commenter

20. colacao17

colacao17 Occasional commenter

He did actually get to unicycling in the original 'adamant' thread, though it took until post 47 I think.

caress and nomad like this.