1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are Deputies a dying breed?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by Keighleigh, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Keighleigh

Keighleigh New commenter

Assistant Heads now seem to be replacing the role of the Deputy. Sharing the load and I guess more cost effective. What do others think? Is a Deputy still essential or will there be less and less of them?

2. Keighleigh

Keighleigh New commenter

Assistant Heads now seem to be replacing the role of the Deputy. Sharing the load and I guess more cost effective. What do others think? Is a Deputy still essential or will there be less and less of them?

3. I have found having a deputy to be invaluable support in running a school. It works both ways as you can really structure excellent opportunities for them to prepare for Headship. My thought is that they have a higher status than Assistant Head and more of a strategic place in decision making and in leading others.

4. My deputy is actually an AHT. The reason being was that we would have had to advertise nationally for a Deputy, we had no actual vacancy. So we promoted the person we wanted to be "number 2" in our very small school.
    Everyone is happy.