1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are cracks appearing in stupid marking policies?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Mar 27, 2016.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

2. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

It is discrimination against the colour blind, both teachers and pupils.

badger_girl likes this.
  3. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

I thought our three-pen system was ridiculous!

We were an RI school and our advisor asked if we'd thought about using different colours. We thought about it after she left and dismissed it. Upon her return, a few months later, we were slated for not having implemented the coloured-pen marking policy, so the Head put it in place. I'm always making mistakes by starting to write in the wrong coloured pen and the kids don't give a toss.

badger_girl and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Thank the Lord I retired before the 3 pen nonsense was brought in where I was teaching. I saw it commented on here and had to ask for an explanation. I did have a good idea but dismissed it, believing my ideas to be ludicrous. They weren't-I was spot on. :(

cissy3 and wanet like this.
  5. carol95

carol95 New commenter

our kids use purple pen to self or peer mark but. our new head took reference to the colour of pens staff should use out of the marking policy because he didn't care as it made no difference. We can even mark in red now - hooray for common sense!

InkyP and wanet like this.
  6. Dragonlady30

Thank goodness common sense does prevail in places. (How did this guy get a headship with his independent thinking? :eek: )

InkyP likes this.
  7. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

we mark in red and the kids do whatever their bits are in green. or just initial. they're only 7 or 8.

8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I mark in red but other teachers appear to mark in green.

I have no idea what difference this makes.

9. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I started marking in different colours years ago, proper trend-setter me. It was because I found a pack of gel pens in a range of colours and I thought why always mark in red, just add a bit of variety. Some of the kids used to love it while others just thought it that odd thing that Mr. M. does. Any colour would do as long as it was easy to read and stuck out a bit.

Once when I had moved onto the green pen in the pack I was questioned as to whether I was doing that trendy thing to make my marking less threatening, I had no idea what the person telling me was on about, I think it had started to be done in some primaries.

I also used to write vertically in the margin so my comments were near the work they related to, this became frowned upon, but I did it regardless. I left just before the proper madness set it.

wanet, cissy3 and Dragonlady30 like this.
  10. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

What I can't understand is while the DFE / Ofsted have identified some marking policies as making way too much work for teachers, and have stated teachers do not need to follow such policies (triple and deep marking etc), schools are still quite at liberty to follow such policies. So how will things change, as we already know that Ofsted don't wish to see such things, but schools still widely use them?

I can't see teachers going into schools at the start of summer term and meeting with a changed and much more relevant and useful marking or planning policy. If your school says you have to do it, then it looks like you have to do it - or take the consequences. And presumably the same goes for the planning and data observations (I hate to call them recommendations as they don't really seem to be that).

cissy3 and aspensquiver_2 like this.
  11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I suspect you know the answer...

But schools are now 'independent' to choose their own policies... and SLT are desperately worried for their jobs... so better to have an OTT marking policy than one that underplays it... Ofsted aren't going to fail a school for too much marking are they?

And with the threat of easy capability hanging over them teachers will sheepishly comply, afraid to step out of line and be recognised.

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  12. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

If it's creating unnecessary work for teachers then you'd think they ought to at least be telling the school what they are telling the profession - STOP IT - rather than allowing them to continue with a such a marking policy. Just seems backwards to me.

13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Agree entirely... but I can already hear the mealy mouthed Ofsted machine coming along with clunking excuses.

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  14. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

I actually experimented with three different colour pens around 20 years ago. I can't remember what prompted me to do so. Gave it up as a waste of time fairly quickly.

I firmly believe that this nonsense will not end until the base cause of this is deleted. I don't just mean OFSTED but also part 1 of the Teaching Standards. They are an utter insult to the idea of teachers being professionals also the fact that included is the statement that they represent a minimum implies an escalator driving the out of control workload.

cissy3 likes this.
  15. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Peer marking???

YR3???

Why???

16. inky

inky Lead commenter

I have one of my Yr 1 English exercise books [kept by my mom] and it was marked selectively. Spelling mistakes had to rewritten correctly three times.

Red ink, of course. We all know that red ink is what flows in teachers' veins.

George_Randle and ValentinoRossi like this.
  17. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I used to use purple sparkly ink sometimes because the children liked it, they couldn't read any way being only 4 or 5. Then I started making my own stickers with pictures related to the theme and different comments related to the layered learning objectives the LA advisor liked them but the new head didn't - too easy probably.

18. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I mark in pink, green, turquoise, red, purple.....whatever pen comes to hand. It's all nonsense.

wanet and ValentinoRossi like this.
  19. inky

inky Lead commenter

I forgot to say that my Yr 2 exercise book dates from 1961.

20. Dragonlady30

Youngun!! ;)