1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are all teachers expected to be Sendcos?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

Special educational provision in mainstream secondary schools works best when SEND professionals and subject staff collaborate in the interests of the student with learning difficulties. That means peer to peer support and communication, not just the SENDCO telling subject departments what to do, but the SENDCO also listening to what subject departments have to say, sharing and acting on information received and building understanding of the ground individual departments have to cover when they include students in difficulty. Pulling students out of foundation subjects to boost literacy and numeracy may directly boost progress in English and Maths, but it leaves the foundation subject teacher with catch-up problems when the student is reincluded. After Cameron's "bonfire of the quangos", sources of NC subject-specific information and research about inclusion of students with SEND across the curriculum dried up overnight and alternative sources of information and advice have been patchy at best. Subject teachers generally dislike the idea of excluding students in difficulty, but colleagues need support and understanding to help them reach and teach these students. Agencies outside schools such as subject teaching associations and university education departments could do so much more to raise the profile of SEND within subjects as well as a schoolwide priority.

2. moscowbore

moscowbore Senior commenter

I agree with every word.

How can the current situation ever be improved without massive injection of cash?

3. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

Oh, I'm going to be really blunt here.

How often have you seen a childs demonstrated 'special need' suddenly vanish when a senior member of staff walks into the room? The student who can't read, can't access the materials, suddenly has their hand up and seems to be really engaged with the lesson - when an authority figure is standing over them.

What really annoys me about this, is that there are children with very specific and addressable needs. I want to spend my time in the lesson working with them, not persuading naughty children to stay in their seats (but I can't do it, coz I is special.) Genuine SEND students cope much better in an environment where the rules are very clearly understood, enforced and followed. It gives them routine and security. It creates a controlled working environment where they can give their best efforts.

But isn't it just so damned easy to say 'Billy finds it really difficult to behave himself because of his SEN/home background/poor diet - so it's your problem' - rather than deal with the basic issue that Billy has no interest in behaving.

I agree with the original post in as much as every teacher should be tailoring their lessons to the needs of the class. But it isn't enough to just say 'your class, mate, your problem.' Teachers need to be properly supported. Both by giving us strategies that work for genuinely SEND children, and behaviour policies that don't justify disruptive behaviour which the child could actually control.

4. WaylonCheng

WaylonCheng New commenter

Yep,that‘s really bad at this moment,what we should do is to make some credit information system to assure that both teachers and schools need be aware of their behaviors,because you are under recording,what you have done will be record to that system,which makes teachers to find a good job and schools find the right teachers

5. 01ade

01ade New commenter

What a complex classroom!