1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are all TA jobs asking you to do literacy and numeracy tests?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Gsr25, Oct 13, 2015.

1. Gsr25

Gsr25 Occasional commenter

A friend of mine has started a L2 course and has to do the literacy and numeracy tests as standard for an adult learning course but it now seems that you have to do the tests when you go for interviews.
    Is this the same everywhere now? Last TA job I went for was 10 years ago and the focus was on interacting with the children, I have started applying for new TA jobs now and I'm a bit worried, I'm not the greatest at maths (dyscalculia) and I'm not great with tests!

2. stargirl81

stargirl81 New commenter

I've worked in two schools and didnt have to do a test for either of them. I just did an activity and the actaul interview. I would not worry, I think they will tell you if you will be doing a test before hand. But you can only try your best really that's all you can do x

3. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

I think it's much more common that it was a few years ago - we haven't asked TA applicants to do this before, but have decided that when we next advertise, we will. We are thinking about giving them a section of the Y6 SATS SPAG (grammar) paper and some calculation questions from Y6 Maths paper. Not masses of stuff - maybe 15 minutes worth of each. But we would definitely let candidates know in advance that they will be asked to do the tests!!!!!! As stargirl says, you can only try your best and I'm sure you will be fine. Good luck x

4. OBakaSama

OBakaSama Occasional commenter

I recall the L2 course requiring a maths and literacy test when I undertook mine.

Most TA posts I see advertised requires a good level of education, but I have yet to attend an interview where one is actually required to sit a test (though I know of some).

Short answer: some do.

5. Gsr25

Gsr25 Occasional commenter

Thanks for your feedback everyone. I know in early years they have changed a few things so that you must have GCSE maths and English on entry for a level 3 course wheras when I did mine nearly 20 years ago they just wanted you to have 4 Cs.
    Think I could manage a year 6 SAT if I had to do one!