1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are all HT's aware of their 'special responsibility'

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by a19pb, Nov 8, 2008.

1. This is an old thread but it is still important that we are all reminded that HT's are responsible for both the physical and psychological wellbeing of their staff. They should be educating their staff about how to recognise bullying behaviours, they should be making staff aware of their schools anti bullying and harrassment policy (which will exist) and they should be doing all they can to ensure that staff are protected from unnecessary distress and/or anxiety.

It is clear from these forums that many HT's are not doing their jobs.

2. Rockchick2112

Rockchick2112 New commenter

Yes, HTs should be doing more to combat the bullying of school staff, but that's not going to happen when the head is a bully, as was the case in my last school.

3. grrmummy

grrmummy New commenter

[​IMG]
    Yes and let's not forget that CoG's can bully HT's too (even when HT's are oblivious to what is happeneing)

4. Probably more cases of staff bullying heads these days.Unions defend all and forget the children.Are governors aware of their responsibilities here ....no......they take easy option.

5. The thing is, to combat bullying it is essential that all are able to recognise that they, or others are being subjected to antisocial behaviours. In schools, the HT's are the people best able to promote a positive culture. They should be able to protect both their staff and themselves from negative behaviours. Where CofG are either inappropriately interfering or applying unreasonable pressures on establishments then it is down to the HT's to challenge unreasonableness rather than to enforce and encourage those negatives. Further, they should be well able to combat bullying from any direction. It's important that they walk the walk and be less concerned with self promotion and empty rhetoric.

6. Rockchick2112

Rockchick2112 New commenter

What can staff do when an HT clearly doesn't want to promote a positive culture and is entirely concerned with self promotion?

7. The people who understand the importance of promoting and creating a truly positive culture shoul share what they know about recognising then challenging bullying behaviours. It is not easy and people must be careful how they do it so as not to make themselves targets. HT's who control using manipulation in its many forms will target anyone who they perceive to pose a threat. It's a long slow process and many people think 'I'm alright Jack, I can handle myself'. Some people can truly 'handle themselves' but these people should be using their knowledge to help others protect themselves.

8. Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water............

9. Why would anyone be scared ? Do you not agree that workplace bullying is a problem and that responsible HT's should be adhering to the anti bullying and harassment policies which will exist in all UK schools? These policies require that HT's and management educate their staff about how to recognise and challenge workplace bullying. ---- Oh I remember now. Weren't you one of those who likes to trivialise the subject? Please correct me if I've mistaken.

10. When did you last organise an in-service which addresses the issues surrounding workplace bullying? - I think I can guess the answer.

11. This thread is worth a read and totally relevant to all teachers. While at times I come under personal attack and many seem keen that its message is not taken seriously, for some it might make a real difference. For some it might be taken as a personal attack on them - they shouldn't as that is not what is intended.

12. a19pb this has been flogged enough. Let it die, please.

13. With respect, I feel that there is still a need to continue with my awareness raising agenda. While what I have to say has become predictable (it hasn't changed much since I started), different people might benefit from some of what is said.

My intention is to encourage discussion and no one should choose to take offence at what I have to say. Many people, regardless of their views choose not to post. They deserve the chance to consider the opinions shared.

14. reg1950

reg1950 New commenter

The phrase one trick pony could have been invented for you a99pb

15. The one trick pony is back. HT's have their bit to do.

16. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Good to see you back, a19pb. Without the one trick pony, I would never have received the affirmation that my analysis of others' behaviour towards me was not unique or fanciful. Thanks to a19pb's information I (still!) have a High Court case on the go and a local authority set to have to pay an awful lot of damages.

17. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Where have you been all this time, a19pb?

18. I've been looking in here an there MM but haven't spent the time to figure out how the forums are working (or not) now. My impression is that people in need of support will not be finding it so easily. Am I missing something obvious?

Sounds good GL - keep me updated.

19. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Keeping your seat in the public gallery warm, a19pb. Lots of other good souls to join you now though! You are no longer a lone voice. Well done for lighting the flame.

And you are right: the 'new' forums are not helpful.

20. That's great news - it makes all the previous effort worthwhile. Might even save some people from serious grief - make a difference. That's what it's all about for me.