1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are all HT's aware of their 'special responsibility'

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by a19pb, Nov 8, 2008.

1. I meant to add blackdog - Since November, 2300 more views -- People are having a little look and if only a small percentage get something positive out of i, then its worthwhile. As i have said before, my intention re posting on these forums is to help raise awarenes as many people who are bullied do not have a clue what is going on until it is too late to save themselves or others from serious damage. Further, often good people in positions of power believe that their peers operate in a similar way to themselves - Why should they think otherwise ? They should think otherwise!
    In establishments where people are aware of how bullying actually works, stress levels are reduced and those that would otherwise use bullying to control are much less likely to behave in antisocial ways as bullies fear exposure.
    There will always be bullies in society, they will flourish in establishments where good people expect their seniors to follow social norms re behaviour. This expectation enable sociopathic types to behave badly and to manipulate others into behaving badly. Sometimes its because of percieved (and probably not real) threats but it might equally be just for kicks because they can.
    I don't mean to encourage paranoia -- on the contrary, my intention is to promote understanding which will help people at all levels recognise and deal with these rather dangerous clowns.

2. I rarely post on TES but have to admit to having a 'healthy' peek now and then. I always look at the headteachers' forum as I read plenty of excellent advice from posters. However, I can also exercise my own personal judgement as to whether a posting is worth taking note of, or not.
    If you have never been bullied you may feel that a19pb intrudes where he/she has no reason to do so. I beg to differ. Anyone who raises and sustains awareness of such a serious and devasting issue should be listened to. It may not be your issue now, but could be an issue for your son or daughter, or partner - and could be for you in the future.
    I have worked overseas; in the school I taught bullying was common-place, akin to school policy, but we were ALL bullied, unless we were related to the school owners. This created camaraderie and we got through - every one of the teachers (12 of us) then returned to the UK. A haven, we presumed, from any type of intimidation and bullying. And so it was for most of us....
    However, I have to say that, after working in a marvellous school for 6 years with a fabulously supportive headteacher, and then a second school with an equally wonderful headteacher for 3 years, I have come to a third school. It is hell on earth. The headteacher has made my life a misery. I am in no doubt that I will also have my failings (of which I am constantly reminded), but I have never met such a bully in my life, not even abroad, I don't think I am so evil as to warrant such a bullying treatment. I am deputy-head, so it is with great difficulty that I go into work each day - I can't share my 'misery' with anyone, except with my family and friends.
    If you are not or have never had anyone as a 'boss' who constantly micro-manages everything you do, criticises everything you say, sabotages your every move to promotion, leaves you with a heavy work-load and then disappears to network but then finds fault in all you do, bad-mouths you to local 'dignitaries' (read: other local Heads, SIP, LA advisers), gives greater status to the school caretaker than you etc. etc. etc. etc., then maybe what a19pb says means absolutely nothing to do. I'm sure the HT at my current school would deny any of this, too.
    If you are not bullied, this may mean nothing to you. If you are a bully, you may not even be aware that what you are doing is bullying. If you are a narcissist, like my HT (I have researched this in depth, and this is what she is), you will deny anything about it and probably fly into a rage at the very thought that someone might disagree with you.
    Sorry for such a long post, but you may have no idea of what hell it is for some of us to get up every day and go into school. This is a reality for me every day. I am eternally optimistic and I know that most headteachers are not like the one I have - I see it every day in your postings and have had fabulous experiences in the past. I want to believe that, one day, I will be like you as a HT, but I fear my chances are skewed whilst I am deputy under the current HT.
    So, if you don't like what a19pb posts, just don't read it - I do, because it addresses something I have to endure every single day of my life, working or not - bullying resonates into every corner of my life. It affects my self-esteem and the relationship I have with family, friends and professionals - that's how bad it is. Never under-estimate bullying, especially when a narcissist is concerned.

3. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Dear Barthes
    What you have written reflects my experience, albeit as a lowly teacher. a19pb is performing an excellent service in bringing the subject of workplace bullying to fresh eyes. If you are not interested, don't read his/her postings. Bullying is an assaultthat leaves no visible bruises.

4. RossOnderbrook

RossOnderbrook New commenter

Oh sod it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Maybe consider your slightly threatening tone? We are all human and all of us, including you work with children together for the right reasons. Head teachers are OK. Dealing with challenging situations gets us all down. Maybe you can share some suggestions to give a positive reflection of when staff relationships work well? Times are hard and working together is key.

6. Its interesting that you assume that we are all working with children together for the right reasons. My views differ. People with positions of responsibility in schools who choose to ignore the importance of learning and educating their staff about how workplace bullying actually works might as well be at the root of the cancer that workplace bullying is.
    Further, the people who orchistrate the 'Hostile' environment that is all to common where staff are bullied, have only their own self advancement and/or egos in mind - the childeren are simply something to be used.
    Its actions that count -- A bullying Manager might likely say that they understand, recognise and combat bullying at all levels.

For people who are prepared to consider that there might be something in what i say - here is some suggestion that the problem i am suggesting is a problem actually is a problem and not an imagined problem that many HT might rather it was. (Problem, problem problem)
    <h3>One Trick Pony a19pb hotlist -- All about life andhappy times!</h3>

7. Did that come across as threatening ?

8. Maybe you might like to rate this thread again -- Here's where things stand today.

<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td class="CommonListCellLeftMost">a19pb
    </td>
    <td class="CommonListCell">
    [​IMG]
    </td>
    </tr>

<tr>
    <td class="CommonListCellLeftMost">
    TheoGriff
    </td>
    [​IMG]
    </td>
    </tr>

<tr>
    Genoveva
    </td>
    [​IMG]
    </td>
    </tr>

<tr>
    walnutbrittle
    </td>
    [​IMG]
    </td>
    </tr>

<tr>
    Terms&Conditions
    </td>
    [​IMG]
    </td>
    </tr>

<tr>
    Oldish Hand
    </td>
    [​IMG]
    </td>
    </tr>

<tr>
    jennifer longhu
    </td>
    [​IMG]
    </td>
    </tr>

<tr>
    SMTslime
    </td>
    [​IMG]
    </td>
    </tr>

<tr>
    Catford Betty
    </td>
    [​IMG]
    </td>
    </tr>

<tr>
    no one
    </td>
    [​IMG]
    </td>
    </tr>

<tr>
    LizGCooper
    </td>
    [​IMG]
    </td>
    </tr>

<tr>
    Kyrenia Bound
    </td>
    [​IMG]
    </td>
    </tr>

<tr>
    BasilMainwaring
    </td>
    [​IMG]
    </td>
    </tr>

<tr>
    lynda.regan
    </td>
    [​IMG]
    </td>
    </tr>

<tr>
    lexa
    </td>
    [​IMG]
    </td>
    </tr>

<tr>
    biologybabe
    </td>
    [​IMG]
    </td>
    </tr>

<tr>
    lizhitchcock
    </td>
    [​IMG]
    </td>
    </tr>

<tr>
    blackhen
    </td>
    [​IMG]
    </td>
    </tr>

<tr>
    loopdeloop
    </td>
    [​IMG]
    </td>
    </tr>

<tr>
    VeryVeryUnhappy
    </td>
    [​IMG]</td></tr></table>

9. 25000 views of this thread but not much action? HT's have a responsibility to train staff about how to recognise bullying and to ensure that schools are psychologically safe places to work. Clearly the HT's who rated this thread 1 star think bullying is not a problem and they don't think they have anything to do. Or are they simply happy with the 'Simple Minds' -- OOPS, i meant 'Status Quo'.

10. cocothedog

cocothedog New commenter

Dear a19pb, Thank you for all of your comments regarding bullying in the workplace in education and the lack of action by HTs and SMT to do anything about it, indeed they are most often the reasons for the bullying. This issue will become an important issue at some time. I am afraid that a lot of teachers allow this situation to exist by inaction and ignoring bullying behaviour. My advice is to anybody being bullied is to keep a log of all bullying behaviour, read policy and procedure carefully and only act within its parameters, always react to any bullying behaviour and when you have a strong enough case, get independent legal advice, it will be worth paying for if the Unions are not up to the job. if everybody acted like this there would not be a problem.

11. Two many people too often do nothing despite being aware of the

<h3 class="r">All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing</h3>
    further, it is important that all are able to recognice bullying behaviours and the creation of a bullying ethos in an establishment. For some, bullying becomes a habit which they could choose to break, for others, there is unfortunately a pathology.

12. Too not two
    ....aware of the (or word or two missing perchance?)
    Recognise not recognice
    Pathology: The science of the causes and effects of diseases, esp. the branch of medicine that deals with the laboratory examination of samples of body tissue for diagnostic or forensic purposes

13. Forgiveness is the key to action and freedom.
    Hannah Arendt.

14. Top - the point your ate making is ?

15. That should have been -

Tom, the point you are making is ?

16. oops -- Tom - the ....

17. Decent HT's - Its time you all looked at the bigger picture rather than kidding yourselves on that workplace bullying is not a major problem in some schools close to you.

18. I've just had a scan at the 'workplace dilemmas' forum. HT's have a moral duty to recognise and expose those amongst them who are the 'wolves in sheep's clothing'.

19. I have sent you a personal message.