1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are all authors ok in schools?

Discussion in 'English' started by Pennympenzi, Jan 14, 2012.

1. For instance would you use older type authors like Agatha Christie secondary or Enid Blyton in primary schools?
    If not why not?

2. For instance would you use older type authors like Agatha Christie secondary or Enid Blyton in primary schools?
    If not why not?

3. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

I've talked about Agatha Christie when explaining genre and vaguely remember using an extract but have never used a whole text. Why not? Because there are better novels, I suppose and I've never seen a set in a school. Enid Blyton books used to be a reference point but few children know what you're talking about now when you mention the Famous Five!

4. I wouldn't use an Agatha Christie as a class reader in secondary school: there isn't enough meat in them. But I would include her books in the library and would encourage pupils to give them a go; and I would certainly use her stuff in a study of "The Detective Novel" or something of that kind.

5. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

It depends what you can get out of them. I think a lot of authors will go out of fashion - in 40 years time I hope we won't still be teaching "Holes" and "Private Peaceful".

If it helps illustrate a genre or device, however, I think anything goes. We watched five minutes of EastEnders one day last year as a starter, just to illustrate the concept of dramatic irony.

6. Thanks for your responses - Colleague been asked to use EB as class text
    Just made me think whether it's a good idea, and especially under observation or Ofsted conditions.
    Glad it's not me having to do it!
    PM