1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Are all Academy chains ruthless?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Debs_Frazer, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Debs_Frazer

Debs_Frazer New commenter

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I think they probably are. They were invented to make education more business-like, ie so that staff could be hired, fired, etc as the chain bosses wished.

4. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Academy chains are a business. Business is ruthless, therefore academy chains are ruthless.

5. drek

drek Star commenter

Anyone who invents reasons for why they should be renumerated 5 - 10 times to appear to manage a group of people, who, by the very nature of their job, are self managers, have to be ruthless in order to maintain that false facade.
    How else could they appear to be successful on paper. It is after all bits of paper evidence that the dfe look at when they reward schools with funding, and bits of paper that can remove the funding or hand it to some other super 'in' people, after ofsted pay a visit.
    They have to pretend it has to do with teachers being good bad or ugly. It makes them more appealing to the public.
    You can always pull a crowd in for a public hanging or execution, innocent or not!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  6. rachelpaula008

rachelpaula008 Star commenter

Yes. Watch your back!

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  7. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

My boss is very considerate. She uses chocolate flavoured boot polish..

8. Sisyphus_rolls_again

Sisyphus_rolls_again Established commenter

No.

Some are just incompetent.

JRiley1 likes this.
  9. JRiley1

JRiley1 Established commenter

Think it depends how big the academy chain is and what type of schools are in it; just primaries, secondary or mix?

When I worked at an academy it was just 2 schools, but as I was leaving (only couple of years later) it had taken on another primary and in process of 2 more as well. My previous colleagues now tell stories...Glad to be out of there from what they've told me!

10. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

11. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Some formed by local schools linking together may be OK for an initial period of time.

Large chains are ruthless and arrogant.

business-commerce-step-steps-crush-crushed-oppress-mka0177_low.jpg

12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

13. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

So are many state schools.

14. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Academies are getting away with things that LA schools would never have been allowed to do. See this forum.

Academies do not perform better than LA schools. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/e...authority-schools-says-research-10356408.html

They perform worse for lower ability/poorer children. http://www.suttontrust.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Chain-Effects-2015.pdf

So, given the costs and upheaval involved, the results obtained and the shameful was that many academies are treating teachers, they have absolutely nothing to recommend them.

They appear to be a conduit for poor quality management, people with a lack of pedagogical knowledge and accompanying promotion beyond competence. I could go on but we all know...

Alf58 and Debs_Frazer like this.
  15. birmanmum

birmanmum New commenter

The article it actually says that the academies are doing better at getting pupils the 5 GCSEs including maths and English, which seems to be something the government is rather keen on. There are also other parts of the article where is talks about the attainment gap between pupils on free school meals and others being slightly smaller in the academies.

The headline states that the academies do not perform significantly better - and then the write up says that they do.

16. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

17. Scintillant

It relies on the reader having some judgement and understanding. And knowing what "significant" means in a statistical context.

18. chubbyone

chubbyone Occasional commenter

Wonder if they will produce the statistics for the academies that continue to flourish and thrive?

19. lou5357

lou5357 New commenter

Can someone explain to me the role of trustees? Are they like shareholders? Do they have any power or influence?
    Our school is joining an academy (which currently has three schools, with hopes to include two more), so not one of those big players with poor reputations.

20. Scintillant

Do you not understand how reports are written and statistics presented?

Those stats are in there too. They do not, however, affect the overall picture.