1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Archive photos-on school website?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by frankie7, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Our school has been given a collection of old photos of the staff and children from the 20s to the 90's. I would like to put some of the best on our website but don't want to fall foul of Data Protection laws as obviously we do not have the permission of all subjects. Have trawled through stacks of information about this, but am still not sure if I should or shouldn't upload them. Does anyone know if rules are retrospective or if I can put them on the site with a 'disclaimer' offering to remove if requested?

2. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

If you did fall foul of data protection legislation then the reality is that very little would be done, indeed all that would happen is an officer from the information commissioner's office would get in touch with the school, tell you there has been a complaint and advise you that it is not good practice. Bottom line is that any sane individual would judge that you are not doing anything wrong. DPA is not as draconian as the media woudl have you believe in the same way they overeact to health and safety legislation.

3. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

oh and if you want some evidence before others wade in here and tell you that I am a clown for giving such advice then here goes. In 2006 I made a freedom of information request to the ICO about DPA prosecutions and fines. From 2000 to 2005 there had been only 40 prosecutions, that's 8 a year. Do you honestly think they would be interested in a few old photos on a website. I recently made a formal complaint against a firm of solicitors as they refused to release personal details stating that it was not cost efficient for them to do so and that my assertion that they could only charge a £10 admin fee was nonsense. Of course my complaint was upheld but all they got was a letter telling them to get some training and pass me the details requested.