1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Archbishop of Canterbury says it is not racist to fear high level of immigration

Discussion in 'Personal' started by FrankWolley, Mar 11, 2016.

1. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

So says Justin Welby:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-fear-high-level-of-immigration-a6924601.html

Do we agree?

People are entitled to fear the impact that the influx of large numbers of migrants could have on their communities, the Archbishop of Canterbury has said.

The Most Rev Justin Welby said it was "absolutely outrageous" to condemn people who raised such concerns as racist.

In an interview with Parliament's The House magazine, he said that the scale of the migrant crisis meant such anxieties were entirely reasonable.

2. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

In the way he has expressed it? Yes. Without question.

Others express their fears in different ways, some of which are xenophobic and some even racist. (by definition) Fortunately there are relatively few with those views.

I see the Independent, by their main picture, still struggle to separate migrants/immigrants and refugees.
    Admittedly the definitions are difficult but they could make an effort

lexus300, wanet, sabrinakat and 2 others like this.
  3. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Yes.
    A sensible fellow.

4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Yes

Note the fear is of the impact, not of the immigrants themselves.

5. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Does the fact he wears a dog collar make him an expert then?

6. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

No, duke, but he just says in plain English what most people think.

menstrie, wanet and Dragonlady30 like this.
  7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Ah good another one of our 'betters' telling us what to think...

Interesting listening to IDS going out about Elites on Radio 4. Does he not know he's in an Elite?

JL48 likes this.
  8. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I expect God will make a similar announcement soon and then Jesus and the Holy Ghost will write a letter to the paper about it.

sabrinakat and grumpydogwoman like this.
  9. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Fair. Conversations on immigration and the related issues aren't inherently racist.
    It's just the way the different types of migrant are used as interchangable terms and the discussion inevitably ends up circling back to a certain type of immigrant and the assumption that the only people coming over here are young, fit men who are too cowardly/lazy to live in their own country, are trying to sneak in illegally, are only after the benefits, steal jobs from British people, are pro sharia law, want to subjugate and/or rape all the women, hate Britain and everything it stands for and possibly want to be a suicide bomber. That's when it starts getting into dangerously racist stereotype territory.

10. FrankWolley

R5Live discussing this at the moment...

11. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I was going to add a comment but Orkrider2 said it all.

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  12. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

What was said in posts 2, 3 and 4. Definitely.

13. FrankWolley

One of the participants in the studio on the R5Live discussion (name sounded like 'Dreeda'...?) has just said, repeatedly, that there is no such thing as 'race' (except the 'human race').

Thoughts?

14. Didactylos4

Apart from some almost vanishingly small variations she is right.
    But it's a bigger question than can be discussed here.
    I would submit that this is a pretty fair summary
    http://www.nature.com/ng/journal/v36/n11s/full/ng1435.html

Amusingly (or not, depending on your pov) the same arguments are used by who argue that racism cannot exist and that such accusations are meaningless and those who suffer from racism.
    :mad:

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Well it's a reasonable point... Creating arbitrary blocks and saying you are this race and you are that race... Where does Black African begin and North African Semitic end? How much 'European' DNA do African-Americans carry and when people say 'Native American' how much actual native DNA is present [I pointed out elsewhere the Chief of the Cree Nation is 1/32nd Native].

I recall that Red-headed [celtic?] mummies were found on the borders of China.

What race are the Turks? Roma Gypsys [originally from Indian sub-continent but far removed]? The Basques [they can probably claim to be the first Europeans and the rest of us all immigrants]?

InkyP likes this.
  16. FrankWolley

She got quite voluble when the presenter (Nicky Campbell) pointed out that many in the US refer to themselves as 'Irish American' or 'Italian American' etc. She was in a group of one as regards other callers, too...

17. Didactylos4

I bet she did
    As would I as none of these definitions are relevant or accurate

18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Aye I met Americans who told me they were Scots-American... when I asked [one example] there was a Scottish ancestor back 3 generations.

I could call myself Irish-British as some of my ancestry is people who left Ireland in the aftermath of the famine and settled in Scotland. But I'm overwhelmingly British [I think] so I stick with that.

19. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

I guess it depends on whether the image in your head of an immigrant is of an Australian, Canadian, American, German or French person, or of a Syrian, Aghan, Iraqi or Pakistani etc.

Only the individual can answer that...

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  20. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

Yes but you live close to Ireland; those Scots-Americans don't. Anyway, three generations is nothing in historical terms.

I may have Viking ancestry but that would go way back so real point in referencing it unless we are talking genetics.