1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ARB progress

Discussion in 'Retirement' started by squirdle, Feb 12, 2012.

1. I submitted my paper ARB claim forms on 20th October via my last employer (as you have to if you are less than 6 months out of work)as it was not possible to do so on the TP website and they were received and 'logged on to their system' on 10th November. The progress bar has remained at 20% since then. It is now 2 months and 5 days until my payout is due. Is this a normal timescale, or should I give CapitaHartshead a nudge?<a name="7275262">[/URL]

2. I submitted my paper ARB claim forms on 20th October via my last employer (as you have to if you are less than 6 months out of work)as it was not possible to do so on the TP website and they were received and 'logged on to their system' on 10th November. The progress bar has remained at 20% since then. It is now 2 months and 5 days until my payout is due. Is this a normal timescale, or should I give CapitaHartshead a nudge?<a name="7275262">[/URL]

3. If you follow the same pattern as mine two things will happen. Very soon the bar will reach 60% and stay there until about a fortnight before your payout day when it reaches 100%. The details of your payout are in an email at this time and be warned it's a little bit complicated. I suppose you could contact the TPS but I suspect you'll get no further info.
    TPS is, in my experience, very efficient.

4. Thank for the info, Peter99. I'll leave things in abeyance for 3 weeks then see what happens.

5. Does anyone know: Do TP email you when your percentage moves up, or do they just expect you to keep checkiing on the website?

6. Just found out the answer myself - percentage has just gone up to 60% - I looked on the website!

7. How long does it take before anything happens at all? I submitted my claim using the online forms but there is no acknowledgement online and it simply says that "no cases are active".

8. Well, it's now 27 days to payout day and my progress bar is up to 60%, which it has been since Feb 17th (exactly 2 months before payout day). I guess I'll be finding out my exact payout figures in a couple of weeks - unless anyone knows differently.

9. 24 days to payout day and progress bar has hit 100%, letter with precise details is in members' documents area - lump sum is &pound;2,000 more than estimated on TP calculator, annual pension &pound;500 more. The relief is almost tangible, good-byeeeee!

10. I was made redundant when I was 54, so I waited until until I was 55 and claimed ARP. As has been said, I had to apply through my last employer, who just sat on my application and did not pass it on to TP. My union, the NUT, 'leaned' on the LEA to complete the paperwork and pass it on to TP, but it still took them over 4 months to process the claim.
    Original application to the LEA was in June 2010 to begin in November. Paperwork passed on to TP in September, pension started in February 2011, although I am still waiting for the lump sum to come through.

11. I applied online for ARB five weeks ago. Kept checking online but no sign of my application being received. Yesterday I phoned TP and spoke to a very nice lady who told me that they were waiting for the LA to send back information regarding my service and salary needed to process my application. She suggested that I could contact the LA if I was anxious.
    In frustration I rang teachers' payroll at my LA and was told that they would look into it. Woke up this morning and checked my email. To my surprise there was an email from TP telling me they had received my application and it was now being processed. email was sent at 3.12am ???
    Anyway I am now at 20 percent progress in the track my case section. I think that the call to the LA must have done the trick.

12. I have applied for ARB to be paid on 27 May. I sent papers to LA by recorded delivery and to a named person [was sure if sent electronically they would sit in an inbox!] ... anyway my case is now at 60% and I received email saying payment would be made on requested date.
    Two queries and would be grateful if someone could help.
    • When should I know my exact benefit amounts?
    • If payment date is 27 May ... will I receive both my lump sum and the first monthly amount on that date?
    Many thanks
    BW

13. Sorry I am still a bit woolly on this.
    My birthday is 25 April ...... do I receive my first monthly payment on 27 May [which is the payment date I requested] and then after that on 24th of each month.
    Lump sum a little before the requested payment date of 27 May?
    Many thanks
    BW

14. You wil start 'earning' your pension on 27 May. You will then get your first monthly payment on 24th June. So you will have to survive on the lump sum, which should arrive around 27 May, for the first month.
    Do not expect to get the final figures untill a week or so before 27 May as the latest inflation figures are needed for the calculations. The notification letter is sent br e-mail so check your junk mail just in case!

15. Thank you so much for the information.
    I plan to start supply teaching shortly through an agency.... I will obviously not be contributing to the TPS and they have told me it is fine to do that and that my pension is not affected at all.
    Do I still need to inform them in writing that I am doing this?
    What do I do regarding tax codes etc. The agency use PAYE. Should I write to the tax office to explain the situation.
    Thank you again.
    BW

16. voodoo child

voodoo child New commenter

This is exactly what happened to me. I think they don't get going until you give them a nudge.