1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Arabic white cheese

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by lapinrose, Nov 28, 2011.

1. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I love this, but what could I use to substitute for it?
    I spent a long time with my friend in Jordan helping her make something, the name was sounded like Areyas? You took a small pancake from the baker in huge bagsful, stuffed it with cheese and sealed the edges, fry till golden then add sugar syrup?
    Anyway I think I need Egyptgirl here to help me!!
    But apart from that the white cheese with fresh bread for breakfast is superb and even with strawberry jam.

2. Sounds like Qatiyef to me - usually eaten around Ramadan. You can have cheese ones or nut ones.
    I agree arab cheese is delicious - lightly fried till golden then eaten with fresh bread tomatoes and olives.

3. I should add that there is the sweetened arab white cheese used for the desserts like qatayef and there is the very salty white cheese which I meant when I was talking about eating it with olives and tomatoes [​IMG]

4. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I agree that the recipe sounds like Qatayef which is totally delicious! As a substitute I would have thought ricotta or grated (best-quality) mozzarella would be fine.

5. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I know so gorgeous that I want to make some, but any idea where I can get the pancakes or what I could use?

6. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

When I google qatayef I get " do you mean ATAYEF ? " and a link to how to make Lebanese pancakes filled with a type of crème patissière.......atayef acha.

7. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

8. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

Interesting......except the filling, for me, I'm afraid. My MiL and SiL are Moroccan and make the most fantastic little pastries and semolina cakes.....but they're always flavoured with orange blossom water which I HATE, it's vile disgusting stuff! Don't like walnuts much either!
    There's also way too much honey in Arab desserts, that's foul stuff, too ! MiL makes one thing I can eat: Sfenj which are a type of Moroccan doughnut: no honey, blossom or rose water, just icing sugar and cinammon.

9. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

The ones I was making with my friend win Jordan were just filled with cheese, then drizzled with a plain sugar syrup. Try doing that, I'm going to, maybe we can compare results.

10. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

11. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

12. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

13. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

They're exactly the pancakes I used. however we didn't add sugar to the cheese, just the sugar syrup at the end.
    The pancakes are what I want to buy here!! Some chance!!

14. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

Is the cheese similar to that drained yoghurt cheese you can make at home?

15. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

The Arabic white cheese is fairly firm but rubbery with holes in. It's usually very salty and so needs soaking before using. I'm not sure about the yoghourt cheese as I've done the milk/rennet experiment when teaching food.