1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

arabic flat bread recipe

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by flutterbyplant, May 5, 2012.

1. does anyone have one? not the pita bread with the air-pocket, I have no trouble finding recipes for that, but the flat fluffy stuff. I have it when I'm visiting my pal in the Middle East, and brought back 12 pieces, but it's all gone now and I want some more! My local Asian supermarket doesn't sell it, although they know the stuff I mean. Apparently the owner's mum makes it, and it's excellent. Which is nice for him, but not for me!

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Plain flour or wholemeal flour, you don't need SR flour, oil any, I use olive. it should be a soft dough just as for bread. I would start with making 200g flour mix, divide into 6 when mixed and roll each ball into a round or oval shape.
    One tip is to wrap the breads in a clean teatowel to keep them soft.
    Yes you can use the mixer.

3. This is how I make mine:
    500g plain flour
    60 ml oil
    sachet of dried yeast
    250 ml of warm water
    some salt
    Make up dough to be elastic and supple.
    Bake in a preheated oven at 220°C for about 8 minutes, although I tend to grill mine, as I find they work out better that way (2 to 3 mins each side).

4. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Base it on a 1.5kg bag of flour and use olive oil - you can make in the mixer.
    I don't really do specific quantities - I've been making them for so long I just do it automatically!

5. thanks [​IMG] I knew tessers would have the answer
    bear with me, coz like I say, it's been more than 20 years since I made bread without a breadmaker...and I don't have a breadmaker any more
    so, when you mix the flour with the oil and water, do you add, say, a splosh of each and then mix, then add in a splosh more of each? or would you do them separately - oil and mix, then water and mix.
    if you can possibly bear to spend more time replying, can you walk me through it in baby steps?

6. egyptgirl

Do a splosh of each - I end up adding more water than oil but that was because my mother always said we couldn't afford to use too much oil when I was younger.

7. egyptgirl

Oh, and don't make your dough too wet, either or the flatbreads won't have the right texture. When you touch the dough, it shouldn't feel sticky. Just lovely and soft.

8. And don't expect to get specific instructions cos all flour takes up water different. Bread makers tend to go by feel. Climber does and he has only been bread making for a few months - thinks he's the only one ever to discover it!
    You'll just have to make lots and see how it turns out!

Good luck [​IMG]

9. It is best to add splodges of liquid, and some extra flour to hand.
    Add each as you feel is necessary - the dough, when ready, should be elastic, but not sticky.
    Pobs is right - each time the exact quantities will be slightly different, so you need to learn that "elastic but not sticky" feeling and trust your instincts.
    As a rule of thumb, if it is sticking to your fingers and to the side of the bowl, add a sprinkle of flour. If it is not combining well, add some more fluid.
    At the end, you ideally should end up with a smooth ball, with no cracks, no stickiness, but a ball which is nonetheless pliable.
    I tend to use the ball of my hand to push down, then twist and brush up the side of the bowl, pull in the dough with my fingers towards me, then press down with my knuckles, then down again with the ball of my hand.
    You may find it easier to use two hands (I find it easier with one).

10. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I made just one tonight when I cooked shakshouka for o/h's breakfast (nightshift)

11. thanks for the advice. Might get time to make it next month...I'll let you know how it turns out.