1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Aquafaba

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by grumbleweed, Mar 24, 2020.

1. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

OK so I used a tin of chick peas in a curry, and have saved the water. I found a recipe for chocolate mousse. .I have chocolate. Anyone actually tried it and made anything yummy with it?

2. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

No. I've read about it though. You can test it for us!

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I've heard of it but never done it, as we all eat eggs.
    Will be interested to hear what you think.
    Apparently you can also make meringues with it?

4. grumbleweed

Right, I'll rise to the challenge and make it tomorrow.
    We don't have chickens at the moment but you can't get eggs anywhere here.

5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

We got eggs from under the counter at the butcher's - very Dads Army. Apologies to all those who couldn't get eggs.

primarycat likes this.
  6. grumbleweed

Well, I've done it and they are sitting in the fridge. It takes a good whilst to whizz up the aquafaba and I think I made a mistake in adding the fluff to the chocolate rather than the chocolate to the fluff. We shall see.

BelleDuJour likes this.
  7. grumbleweed

PSX_20200326_190222_50.jpg_50.jpeg Oh my, it is yummy. Who'd have thought the stuff you pour down the sink from your chickpeas and some chocolate could make something so fluffy and yummy.

sbkrobson and primarycat like this.
  8. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

The mousse looks really good, I shall try that!
    You can use many types of tinned beans to get aquafaba-the densest is from cannellini and kidney beans. These do not take so long to whip up, and make really good mayonnaise, although the kidney bean aquafaba makes it an odd pinkish brown colour.
    You can also make your own aquafaba from dried beans by soaking, then cooking in the same water until you get the required viscosity, but that can be a bit hitty missy because the liquid thickens on cooling so it's hard to judge the cooking time and intial fluid amount. If it's too thin you can always boil it down, but then you're into the world of palaver...

...from palaver to pavlova. Tada!

primarycat likes this.
  9. grumbleweed

I will definitely try it in other stuff, like cakes. We eat a fair few beans, so we won't throw away that water again.
    I don't often cook my own beans, for speed really, but I might do now! Thanks for the tips.

sbkrobson likes this.