1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQAPHY2H - today. any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Science' started by Reebop, Jan 19, 2011.

1. any thoughts whether this seemed a little harder than last june's?

2. wire247

wire247 New commenter

PHY2H was difficult, but fair. PHY1H on the otherhand, was a joke.
    Where the hell are they going to put the grade boundaries? Could this be the first exam paper where 50% gets you an A*.

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Only had a quick glance in passing at lunchtime but the first question on radar was the sort of thing that makes kids panic because they will just look at it and say to themselve 'we never did this'!

4. MarkS

MarkS New commenter

Agree about PHY1H - I had some lovely students come to me and say 'you never taught us nothink about boats......' [groan]. I don't think it was a tough question 1...not from a Physics point of view, but just because it seemed deliberately inaccessible.
    I thought PHY2H was very different to previous papers, at least the first half. Too wishy washy, too much HSW, not proper Physics IMHO.
    Mark

5. TRJ

TRJ New commenter

PHYS1 - i thought was very hard! The boats will throw most kids off i think.
    PHYS2 - Was OK i thought. I am alot happier with that than with P1

6. gregodowd

gregodowd New commenter

Phy2H - The absence of any really meaty nuclear physics was disappointing. Rest was fine.

7. There was an absence of virtually everything. A ridiculous amount of how science works with a whole section on forces and motion reduced practically to a single question about resultant forces. My kids knew so much and seemed to use so little of it. They were just confused by the swimming question as was I. Don't remember much of that stuff coming up on my degree course!

I am fed up with the whole course. So little actual physics seems to matter with endless questions on wind turbines. Thinking of jumping to IGCSE before spec change in september.

Anyone with me?

8. We are planning to go to IGCSE in Sept because of the new (ridiculous) ISA requirements. Probably do the Edexcel as the AQA doesn't allow Dual award only Separate, and we still want to do both.

9. gregodowd

gregodowd New commenter

This is a common style of question that links resultant forces with acceleration. What about the final question on impact force and momentum.
    There were three reasonable electricity questions.
    It was only the dodgy X-ray question that my lot thought was a trick question because it was so simple