1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA vs EDEXCEL @ KS5

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by niamhmcguinness, May 10, 2012.

1. So... my school has a long standing tradition of teaching the AQA RS course at KS5. I am thinking of changing it to EDEXCEL. I have the head's support but is it worth the risk? Is EDEXCEL better than AQA or I am biting of more than I can chew for the sake of change for change's sake. Personally I rather EDEXCEL and love the RS GCSE course, the material, the support, the resources and most of the results we get from the students. Is that enough to want to make the change at KS5 too. Issue that my staff have raised is CWK: The Course Work...
    Advice please :)

2. So... my school has a long standing tradition of teaching the AQA RS course at KS5. I am thinking of changing it to EDEXCEL. I have the head's support but is it worth the risk? Is EDEXCEL better than AQA or I am biting of more than I can chew for the sake of change for change's sake. Personally I rather EDEXCEL and love the RS GCSE course, the material, the support, the resources and most of the results we get from the students. Is that enough to want to make the change at KS5 too. Issue that my staff have raised is CWK: The Course Work...
    Advice please :)

3. I am teaching edexcel AS Level RS - Philosophy and Ethics, and there is no course work for us. I really like the units that we are studying and the kids have loved the course.

4. lam

lam

I can't comment on the AQA RS course, as we have never taught it, but I teach EDEXCEL and thoroughly recommend it. I would definitely choose it over OCR, and I like it because...

1. I have always found the marking to be fair and consistent. I have taught the syllabus for about 10 years and in that time have never had shock results where everyone's results were low, or there appeared to be inconsistent marking. I teach AQA Philosophy, but we find the marking an absolute nightmare, some years its great, other years we just can't understand it.

2. I have always found the questions to be fair. They don't ask odd questions from obscure parts of the spec, and they don't specify content, so there's no specific hoops to jump through. The markschemes are usually fair and they accept whatever work the students produce. I found this to be a problem with both OCR RS and AQA Philosophy.

3. I like the way the exam paper is set up. I have found that I need to teach a topic in a lot more depth than OCR say, but students like that because they can really get into a topic. Further, they can choose which questions they intend to answer, and so focus down on the topics they really like. I teach philosophy and ethics, and so students cannot answer questions on both design and cosmo - so they'll choose the topic they like, and really learn that.

I think that's it mostly. The main gripe that most people have about EDEXCEL is the 4th paper which requires the students to study a complex philosophical text. However, my students tend not to mind it too much. I have found that you need to focus on that first, and then work backwards... so I ensure that all the scholars they talk about in the Westphal text is taught during the 2 years, and so I only need to tie it together in the last two weeks.

There is no coursework for EDEXCEL any more - they write it as an exam, but it is more of an independent study. Ours have lots of guidance and help, and we try to do something that they'll need for A2, so the course is very tightly tied together.

HTH

5. That's music to my hears and is reassuring me in the need to follow my gut and make the move. I even had the discussion with my current Year 13's and they feel exactly the same about it - especially when we came across the Edexcel Gov & Pol A2 paper as we were examining AQA past papers. It's laid out so much better and the marks are awarded in a fairer way Edexcel 2 Qs @ 40marks each, a)5 b)10 c)25 VS AQA 1 Q @ 75marks a)45 b)30.

Now to find me a London School that runs the course so I can visit it.
    Pleases PM me if you are situated in London and deliver the Edexcel A-Level Course - a little bit of 'outreach' ticks a whole lot of boxes :)