1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA Unit 2 Maths 43602F More mistakes on rogue paper

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by GaryH2UK, Aug 26, 2011.

1. GaryH2UK

GaryH2UK New commenter

Our students were among the 1412 that sat the 'rogue paper' this summer . Yesterday I recieved an email from AQA giving the modified grade bounderies. It contained a link to this document http://aqa.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/aqa.cfg/php/ma/fattach_get.php?1=AvUK~wppHP8STLz7GqIe~yL~Jvsq~z~~oyJKfDr~&2=203040 (see page 5). It clearly stated the max mark is 66 - I can only see 61(62) marks on the paper. This hardly fills me with confidence over the grade bounderies. My reply to AQA is given below.
    Dear AQA<font size="2" face="tahoma"></font>
    I am very surprised to see yet another
    error appearing with regard to the Unit 2 paper. In the table for the Unit 2 Foundation Tier Rogue paper on page
    5 i<font size="2" face="tahoma">t states the maximum mark for the paper is
    66. I can only see 62 marks on the paper or possible 61. This hardly fill me
    with confidence over the accuracy of the grade boundaries.</font>
    Pages 2 to 3 Question 2 is missing.
    Question 1 is out of 5 marks and question 3 out of
    4 and question 4 is also 4 marks. This gives a
    total of 13 not the 17 indicated.
    Pages 4 to 5 This is as published
    15 marksPages 6 to 7 This is as published
    14 marks

Pages 8 to 9 This is as published
    13 marks
    Pages 10 to 11. While it is possible to
    answer the first 16a (1 mark) the second 16a and 16b refer to mobile phone call
    plans not the tool hire of the graph so the 5 marks for these questions are not
    available. there are only 7 marks available on these pages. I
    am sure that a number of students will have told to ignore question 16 in total
    making only 6 marks available

13+15+14+13+7=62 or 61 if the whole of
    question 16 is ignored
    <font size="2" face="tahoma"></font>
    In effect this means students needed to
    get 56% on the planned paper to get a C and 73% on the 'rogue' paper to get the
    same grade. While there were some advantage given to some students over the
    rogue paper, there was considerable disadvantage in the interruptions that were
    necessary.

When will you be publishing the reasoning
    behind how the grade boundaries were determined and the weightings given to all
    the factors involved?

In your email your refer to 'mean,
    standard deviation' etc. I can find no reference to them in the document you
    link to.

2. GaryH2UK

GaryH2UK New commenter

Our students were among the 1412 that sat the 'rogue paper' this summer . Yesterday I recieved an email from AQA giving the modified grade bounderies. It contained a link to this document http://aqa.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/aqa.cfg/php/ma/fattach_get.php?1=AvUK~wppHP8STLz7GqIe~yL~Jvsq~z~~oyJKfDr~&2=203040 (see page 5). It clearly stated the max mark is 66 - I can only see 61(62) marks on the paper. This hardly fills me with confidence over the grade bounderies. My reply to AQA is given below.
    Dear AQA<font size="2" face="tahoma"></font>
    I am very surprised to see yet another
    error appearing with regard to the Unit 2 paper. In the table for the Unit 2 Foundation Tier Rogue paper on page
    5 i<font size="2" face="tahoma">t states the maximum mark for the paper is
    66. I can only see 62 marks on the paper or possible 61. This hardly fill me
    with confidence over the accuracy of the grade boundaries.</font>
    Pages 2 to 3 Question 2 is missing.
    Question 1 is out of 5 marks and question 3 out of
    4 and question 4 is also 4 marks. This gives a
    total of 13 not the 17 indicated.
    Pages 4 to 5 This is as published
    15 marksPages 6 to 7 This is as published
    14 marks

Pages 8 to 9 This is as published
    13 marks
    Pages 10 to 11. While it is possible to
    answer the first 16a (1 mark) the second 16a and 16b refer to mobile phone call
    plans not the tool hire of the graph so the 5 marks for these questions are not
    available. there are only 7 marks available on these pages. I
    am sure that a number of students will have told to ignore question 16 in total
    making only 6 marks available

13+15+14+13+7=62 or 61 if the whole of
    question 16 is ignored
    <font size="2" face="tahoma"></font>
    In effect this means students needed to
    get 56% on the planned paper to get a C and 73% on the 'rogue' paper to get the
    same grade. While there were some advantage given to some students over the
    rogue paper, there was considerable disadvantage in the interruptions that were
    necessary.

When will you be publishing the reasoning
    behind how the grade boundaries were determined and the weightings given to all
    the factors involved?

In your email your refer to 'mean,
    standard deviation' etc. I can find no reference to them in the document you
    link to.

3. Dear GaryH2UK,
    I've replied to your email in detail, but wanted to reassure other users of this forum that measures were put in place to ensure that students taking both the 'standard' and 'rogue' papers were treated fairly.
    This does not, of course, compensate for the extremely regrettable error in this paper, or the concern it may have caused students. Again, we would like to apologise for this, and would invite anyone with queries about this paper, or any other issue, to contact me at mathematicsgcse@aqa.org.uk
    Regards,
    Ben Stafford
    AQA GCSE Maths Product Manager