1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA Unit 2 ISA

Discussion in 'Science' started by Thejumpingjew, May 1, 2012.

1. Thejumpingjew

Thejumpingjew New commenter

Hi

Did anyone else think this was very easy?? I am worried that AQA might up the grade boundaries drastically again this summer - maybe so an A is 48/50. Anyone else got any ideas about this?

2. Thejumpingjew

Hi

Did anyone else think this was very easy?? I am worried that AQA might up the grade boundaries drastically again this summer - maybe so an A is 48/50. Anyone else got any ideas about this?

3. Agree. I think this one is easy too.

Would anybody know if AQA have different RAW to UMS conversions for different ISAs within the same submisson date?

4. mm38

mm38 New commenter

No grade boundaries are the same regardless of which ISA is submitted. Some centres will only send one ISA for all students. I usually have a mix as we have the best mark counting. If you read the report it will say which ISA they mainly moderated as they won't see all the ISAs completed.
    I agree that it was easier than the ISA P but I'm really not sure that the grade boundaries can go any higher than they went last year. If it were 48 then 1 mark would make a massive UMS difference. An A is 48/60 so if it were 48/50 for an A, then 49/50 would be 54/60 and 50/50 60/60. I don't think that will happen.

5. Thejumpingjew

I hope you are right - we got hit hard with our predictions last year as we did not expect the largeish grade boundary increase. I am worried as all my students got 42+ on this exam even the E grade ones - I just dont want them to be messed around by the board.

6. mm38

mm38 New commenter

Not sure how you can get 42+ on an exam which is out of 38! I'm guessing you mean 42/50 including the PSA mark...

7. Thejumpingjew

Yeah - Thats the only way to compare with grade boundaries from last year - The first PSA year we wrote and were so strict on the PSA. When we put in our marks the exam board wrote back to us asking why all of our pupils did not get 12 /12 - How stupid!

8. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

This is the one with daffodil stems. We have a very small cohort and, whilst the practical task was easy, the results were so varied I had to speak to AQA and get advice on how to overcome this. They were very helpful.
    I've yet to mark the test paper.
    Rather an odd ISA, IMO.

9. Thejumpingjew

I was actually talking about Chemistry but in tiredness forgot to put that on the title. The A-level chemistry one seems almost unfailable.

10. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Is that the quantitative analysis one? I dont teach Chemistry A level but caught sight of it and thought it was on the easy side.

11. It was like that last year though - one where the slightest slip in the practical would cost you half the task marks and one where a drunk one armed monkey could probably get full marks on the task. Same this year at A2 for what its worth, can't see how the 2 are remotely similar in difficulty.

Its a major bugbear for me - there's no way a CAU which is effectively an exam should have grdaeboundaries that different from those of the other modules - to get a C on CHM3T you needed 80% of the raw marks last year and only 11 marks spread the entire grade range. It needs a severe think. I'm just glad that thanks to a job change I'm not going to have to deal with this module next year.

12. Ssn77

Ssn77 New commenter

I do not see how E grade students could be getting 42+ on the chemistry ISA, unless it is a bright student who is normally very lazy but mugged up for this exam. E grade students are getting less than 50% in Chem 1 and 2, and are often getting those low marks because they cannot be bothered to do much/any work. We are not allowed to prepare them for the ISA, and the lazy students do not put in the work themselves, even when it is just one or two topics. The questions in the ISA are much the same as the other two papers, you just get loads of easy marks from the practical side of it, and only have to learn a fraction of the course.

13. Thejumpingjew

My point exactly - Last year the E grade pupil got U's in both ISA's. This year I have a B (AS) and a C (A2) out of her - This is despite her getting E and U grades in unit 1, 2 exams and 4/5 mocks.