1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA Unit 1 - Preliminary Material

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by Fidgetrainbowtree, Apr 25, 2016.

1. lizgaskell

lizgaskell Occasional commenter

Surely film choice No. 3 is a test!! What a dreadful name for a film! If one of my students came up with this I would be horrified!

Told mine that they should, use the working title but recommend other alternatives.

2. chris_a_avfc

chris_a_avfc New commenter

Totally agree - it's not exactly a title that rolls off the tongue, is it?!

I'm not sure whether to advise my students to consider changing the name or not - I really don't want to confuse them :(

3. chris_a_avfc

chris_a_avfc New commenter

As the lone teacher of Media Studies in my school, I'd love some feedback from you all in relation to a few questions that I have regarding the pre-release material.

What does everyone think about the importance of the 'Up and Coming' and 'Independent' aspects of the REEL FILM institution?
    -Do you think it's requiring students to examine at least one lower budget film for their research?

-Do you think that it will require students to plan their movies with a 'lower' budget in mind, therefore impacting on use of CGI, 'star appeal' etc?

I believe that the 'family audience' is leaning towards a 12 certificate, as most Sci-Fi seems to be these days, but that it won't necessarily need to be for younger children.
    -Many of my students seem pre-occupied with making their film suitable for EVERYONE, and therefore talking about films like Wall-E etc.

I feel that this is not necessary, as some of the plots in the brief would struggle to meet that criteria, but would really love your take on it.

4. lelandhumpling

lelandhumpling New commenter

Destructorismo!? Really!?

5. kim_stockwell

kim_stockwell New commenter

Destructorismo would be a good spoof sci-fi. I have recommended it to some of my higher ability to challenge them.

6. Mr_X

Mr_X New commenter

They don't really present choices that second guess the students (remember that this paper targets A*-G), so Destructorismo is a legitimate choice. The test will be whether they can keep the film idea family friendly (I think targeting 12A at the most will be OK with justification, but PG the safer bet).

As far as independent goes, I don't think this definitely equals low budget. Where they will need to be careful is in their choice of cast and any promotion question, so red carpet premieres with Tom Cruise, Will Smith, Daisy Ridley et al are out, and a more low-key cast with a strong social media and online campaign are in. Look at how a film like Upstream Color promoted itself, lots of merchandise, lots of online, for A* kids two-step flow is a good theory to learn. Translate this and the types of merchandise into a family-friendly feel along the lines of the Ratchet and Clank movie and you're getting close I think.

7. Lyns

Lyns New commenter

What figure would you class as low budget? There's such a range and the kids are asking about potential actors etc.

8. marcusjude

marcusjude New commenter

Chronicle (2012) - $12 million, Attack the Block (2011) - $13 million. Not family friendly but definitely fit low budget sci-fi. Also good examples to consider casting, production costs (location, special effects etc)

9. Lyns

Lyns New commenter

Thanks - I suggested the 10m mark and had looked at chronicle- relieved I'm in the right ball park!
    Thanks again

10. kim_stockwell

Hi,
    One of students has had an idea about turning their film to an animation, what do others think?

Thanks

Kim

11. Hellsbells86

Hellsbells86 New commenter

Sunshine is a good low budget Sci Fi for them to examine. I have got my students to examine Jurassic World, Independence Day and Return of the Jedi (as well as any that they have examined outside of the classroom) so they can show a knowledge of a range of subgenres.

I'm really stressing the themes, sub genres, audience profiles and some marketing. As the Preliminary material stressed that it was a independent company I had my students consider designing a Facebook page, where creating pages is obviously free. I then got them to consider the power that the audience have in promoting a film e.g. Web 2.0 (they considered how 'fan' videos are created to promote the films) I'm also getting them to consider film conventions like comic con and how they help to promote films.

12. Lyns

Lyns New commenter

I've had a few talk about this but then I worry about budget - I suppose you could go down the Aardman animation route or something like Boxtrolls?

kim_stockwell likes this.
  13. pgiffney

pgiffney New commenter

It says 'working title' and therefore, I'm going with the idea that, so long as they make reference to WHY they might change them that 'working title' implies a change is possible, almost encouraged perhaps??- thoughts from others?

14. kim_stockwell

If a student has decided to change the working title, do you think that on the construction they should use their new title or the original working title?

15. Lyns

Lyns New commenter

I'd get them to use the new title but perhaps try to build in the working title on their construction. I so hope there's no curve ball - it seems so obvious on the brief but I fear the worst with the recent exam coverage in the Media!!

16. pgiffney

pgiffney New commenter

They're all in the exams now - should we make a page to discuss our thoughts on it - or shall we all just sigh/cringe/panic until the exam results?

17. Lyns

Lyns New commenter

Phew - if they've revised they should be fine - no surprises according to the kids!