1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA Unit 1 - how do I work out overall bands?

Discussion in 'English' started by hoglett, Mar 20, 2011.

1. hoglett

hoglett New commenter

Once I have marked the paper out of 80, how do I know what is a band 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 overall? xx[​IMG]

2. regentsreject

regentsreject Occasional commenter

You don't. There is no direct correlation between the marks for the paper (80) and the UMS (120). The best you can do for now is work out a pro-rata ratio. Once you have had a cohort go through the exam you can use the ERA to help you work out the bands in future..

3. EmmaBB

EmmaBB New commenter

Boundaries from e-aqa based on the January entry:
    Controlled Assessment Unit 3 Language. Boundaries for all tasks /80

A* = 73
    A = 63
    B = 53
    C = 44
    D = 34
    E = 24
    F = 15
    G = 6

This
    is of course only based on a very small number of entries. The only
    submissions the board had for Controlled Assessment grades was 200 from
    ONE centre.

Exam Higher:
    A* = 63
    A =55
    B = 47
    C = 40
    D = 33

Exam Foundation:
    C = 46
    D = 36
    E = 26
    F = 16
    G = 6

4. EmmaBB

EmmaBB New commenter

http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/stat_pdf/AQA-GCSE-NEW-GDE-BOUND-JAN11.PDF

5. regentsreject

regentsreject Occasional commenter

Again as I understand it (I'm not a statistician!), the UMS marks across all the elements of the qualification will be aggregated and translated into a grade. That means that students who had taken the F Tier paper for Unit 1 can, in theory, get a grade B or even an A (theoretically) once all the marks are aggregated. That's one feature I particularly like - takes away the agonising over which tier exam to enter borderline students for doesn't it?

6. I agree in principal, regents, but in practice we're floundering. Either the communication is not clear; I'm just not getting it OR our KS4 co-ordinator/HOD is not filtering information down properly.
    I have a student whose 'mark' has come back as 83 with a (c) next to it. By my crude reckoning she has got 83/120 therefore 55/80. Would this make sense? So she has another 25 marks to gain for full marks with no real clear idea of whether that would get her a B or an A...could she in theory get an A*??? Why have a higher tier???
    Sleepy now.
    [​IMG]