1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA Uniform marks????

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by emilee, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Hey Betty!
    No you're right - I had exactly the same issue. Our mock exam marks were due in before xmas hols so I didn't have time to call AQA to sort it out. So I did some maths work (eek!) and came up with:
    A* = 36 - 40
    A = 32 - 35
    B = 28 - 31
    C = 24 - 27
    D = 20 - 23
    E = 16 - 19
    F = 12 - 15
    G = 8 - 11
    Does that seem right? That's what I went by anyway. My kids only did 1 question hence why out of 40, so double it for 2 questions. I also had the same issue trying to work out practical grades - I must ring them when I remember next week - been meaning to for ages! If you call them first will you let me know what they say?
    Thanks!
    Emilee

2. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

No. You cannot (without the specific grade boundaries for the specific paper) say that those are the correct boundaries. The boundary for each of the RAW MARKS (paper mark. In this case /80) changes every year depending on a number of factors. This is then converted to a static UMS mark and the grade boundary for the UMS mark does not change. So, one year 60/80 may be the minimum for an A, another year it may be 66/80. In both cases, the UMS mark would be 96/120 (on the figures given above) .
    It may be OK to do it your way for mocks but can be a dangerous and inaccurate way to predict grades.You should also clue yourself up on how UMS works before results day. I have seen many teachers confronted by angry/confused students about how the mark system works. I have also seen teachers be severely embarrassed when they exclaim "There has been an error by the exam board!" and go off to complain because they do not understand the system.
    Handily, the exam boards have guides to UMS on their websites. A Google search of "UMS AQA" returned the following as the first hit:
    http://web.aqa.org.uk/over/stat.php
    Not too difficult to find [​IMG] Do I get a prize for saving the taxpayer the cost of a phone call?

3. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Simple, not every paper in the same module is the same difficulty. Also, not every paper within a set is weighted the same (can be worth 20,30,33,50% etc of the qualifcation). You need a uniform way of expressing these differences. Hence the UMS.