1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA TEXTILES TECHNOLOGY RESULTS DISAPPOINTMENT

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by dollydreamer, Aug 24, 2012.

1. Hello everyone,
    After 6 years of teaching Design and Technology I am devastated to learn that my Textiles Technology students have had their unit 2 marks reduced by two whole grades. I cannot believe it and feel completely confused by the Moderator's decision - he visited my centre this year.
    Of course I will read his feedback, but I am astonished that work I had considered to be deserving of grades A, B or C has been considered by the Moderator to be more deserving of a C, D or E! My moderated sample last year was spot on and I had used that as my 'measure'.
    I feel so upset for my students and wonder how I could have got things so wrong.
    How do other AQA Design and Technology teachers using this forum feel about their students' results this year?

2. Hello everyone,
    After 6 years of teaching Design and Technology I am devastated to learn that my Textiles Technology students have had their unit 2 marks reduced by two whole grades. I cannot believe it and feel completely confused by the Moderator's decision - he visited my centre this year.
    Of course I will read his feedback, but I am astonished that work I had considered to be deserving of grades A, B or C has been considered by the Moderator to be more deserving of a C, D or E! My moderated sample last year was spot on and I had used that as my 'measure'.
    I feel so upset for my students and wonder how I could have got things so wrong.
    How do other AQA Design and Technology teachers using this forum feel about their students' results this year?

3. finamar

finamar New commenter

My CAs weren't changed but it appears the exam let some of my students down!
    To help you with your issue though - is there another school locally that you can compare folders with? This may then give you the evidence you need to challenge the moderator's marks.
    You could also compare with the other areas of technology within your own department: we all follow the same assessment criteria (if they also follow AQA) so there could be many similarities.

4. I'll do that - thanks!
    I thought that visiting Moderators were required to speak to you at the time of moderation if they felt the need to alter marks considerably?
    I'm devastated.
    One of my students achieved an A* for her exam and received a C overall when her CA mark was reduced from an A to a C.

5. finamar

finamar New commenter

I was under the impression that the moderators were <u>not</u> to say anything. The last time I had one in she was being moderated at the same time! Once her moderator had gone thouhg she said she should not say anything but couldn't keep quiet and on that occasion she thought I had under-marked and was to expect a rise in the marks!

6. <h2>"How do other AQA Design and Technology teachers using this forum feel about their students' results this year?"</h2>Course work marks were OK. I have a set formula which still seems to be working with the new orders and just add to it. i.e. we did a bit more fabric testing this year.
    The exam, I thought was hard and a few pupils dropped grades even though we worked on it for months, including the Easter holidays and the morning prior to the exam.
    I mistakenly thought because it was "Rainforests" there was going to be lots of questions on sustainability and although I do teach the kids to "expect the unexpected" and reason out all questions whether they know the answer or not, some of the questions were from the far corners of the syllabus and only briefly touched on in year 10.
    I do think its getting harder. If you learn the theory to the nth degree, where do you find time to get the necessary skills for good quality course work? Dunno.

7. Moerat
    Hi been absent for a few months so missed any gossip on here... been frequenting our other group!
    Anyway just to confirm - moderators are not allowed to say a word. AQA tend to visit if the folders have been 'wrongly' marked either over or under as it is assumed that if the folders are wrong the parctical will be as well, unless you are a new centre or they are doing a spot check (these are rare). Was this GCSE or A'level. I now do Edexcel A'level. They don't visit at all so folders have to be spot on. Have never had a problem with AQA in the past for GCSE and never at A'level either.
    Oh and have to say our results with Edexcel at GCSE were amazing 92% A*/A grades and 100% overall. so really pleased. AQA - AS/A'level results were also very good as well. with more A's and A*'s than ever before.

8. I'm so upset for my students and the confidence which I had in my own ability has been shattered. Sorry to keep going on.