1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA Spoken Language - spoken v multi-modal Q

Discussion in 'English' started by TJAMK, Feb 7, 2012.

1. TJAMK

TJAMK New commenter

Have been landed with this question but can't find a model for the essay.
    No idea what the thing needs in order to gain a C or B and have atop set.
    we're muddling through looking at spoken/text/facebook/opinions but I don't know what I'm expecting them to write.

Does anyone have any inspiration/ideas/models?
    Please....

2. TJAMK

TJAMK New commenter

Have been landed with this question but can't find a model for the essay.
    No idea what the thing needs in order to gain a C or B and have atop set.
    we're muddling through looking at spoken/text/facebook/opinions but I don't know what I'm expecting them to write.

Does anyone have any inspiration/ideas/models?
    Please....

3. If it's a top set aren't you aiming for A and above?!

Surely you're looking for them to show a real understanding for how spoken and written language use differs, and how some language uses elements of both forms. They should be engaging in some sort of data collection, either in terms of looking at texts they have sent/received or ideally some sort of transcription process.

They should be able to talk confidently about how spoken language is effected by context etc and the needs and constraints/peculiarities of spoken language (dialect/accent/fillers/vague language/and so on) I think exam boards would prefer it didn't turn into a feature-spotting exercise or a case of jargon memorisation, but the UNDERSTANDING needs to be there I think. I would find it hard to teach a top set without wishing to embed these terms in them.

Just some comments

I think it's important to point out that I'm an NQT following the WJEC spec but have taught the unit you're talking about to a middle set Y10 class on my first placement. I'm also an English Language graduate. Oh, and I'm very tired right now...

4. TJAMK

TJAMK New commenter

<font face="Times New Roman">Thank you!</font>

<font face="Times New Roman">Yes please A+, but Kent comp, so pardon apparent underambition&hellip;. It&rsquo;s a unit
    I&rsquo;m unconfident in.</font>

<font face="Times New Roman">Done: own idiolect in Spoken V multi-modal; Analysis of own Facebook &ndash; mark up;
    text transcripts; started survey of attitudes of one v the other; started
    reading wider material (websites, articles etc).</font>

<font face="Times New Roman">From what you say, our scheme lacks

- spoken language context/needs and constraints/peculiarities</font>

<font face="Times New Roman">Terminology we&rsquo;re working on&hellip;</font>

<font face="Times New Roman">However, am I right &ndash; do you think &ndash; on considering they need to analyse how/why
    they/others present themselves similarly/differently via the different formats?</font>

5. Possibly. I think it depends on what task they are doing (if memory serves there were five or six to choose from). I did the one about how brevity is important in mobile phone text messaging so multi-modal, context etc was especially.

If you're able to tell me the task title/question I may be able to help further - though not until I've had some sleep.

Idea: In terms of expectations, tell them they're all predicted A*, nothing less is acceptable for a top set, tell them if they don't put in the work they can always go down, that they have to continually earn their place. Give them high quality models and expect perfection from them. I'm saying this without knowing the cohort, of course.

6. TJAMK

TJAMK New commenter

Thanks for your input, CA task attached, if you're still feeling generous I'd be interested in if you think I'm on the right track:
    Controlled Assessment Task: 2012/13: Explore some of the similarities and
    differences between spoken conversation and web-based communication such as messaging, Twitter and Facebook.

7. Spassky

Spassky New commenter

I put a full scheme and resources: here which I delivered to top set and got good results, some full marks. Last year's question but all relevant to this year's. Should help. (And you don't need to do data collection - we all used the same example.)

8. Yes, I think you are on the right lines.

Students will be clear by this stage in their lives about what makes a written text but they must now understand that spoken texts are equally "studyable" and is a result of the context in which it's created and the constraints of the mode (both participants being present, a shared context, shared knowledge, interaction etc).

They need to see that instant communication shares some of these features in addition to being like written language. Should be fun as they all talk to each other and they all use social networking. They just need to realise what they are doing and how they are using and manipulating language. I assume they need to collect data of spoken language in use, instant messaging twitter etc.

I'm not clear how you push them towards the higher grades, I'd guess it would require in depth analysis and insightful relevant comments.

Perhaps some time spent looking at the mark scheme would be a good use of their time. Perhaps they could look at example essays on similar topics and grade them in pairs/groups so they (and you) get a 'feel' for what is required.

Hoe this is of some help. Have fun with it!

9. Spassky

Spassky New commenter

Forgot to say there are a couple of models (or part models) on the powerpoint.

10. TESEnglish

TESEnglish Occasional commenter

Hello TJAMK,
    You might find elements of our collection of
    resources on Spoken Language of use:
    www.tes.co.uk/spoken-language

Regards,

Chantel

11. TJAMK

TJAMK New commenter

Thanks all for your help, think we're goiung to rewrite the end of the SoW.... but at least i feel more confident about what I'm looking for!
    TK

12. Just a query, as I am planning to use your SOW as a launch point - did you elect to study the MSN messenger piece as an example of texting or web based communication? I am at present doing a re-write of last year's topic - which was unsuccessful -and am torn between the internet comms question and the texting varieties one. Given you designed this SOW, which one do you think it models the most closely? Apologies if this is a tad rude and demanding but you are my only hope of sleep this weekend...