1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA Spec B Religion and Life Issues: Animal Section

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by SolisGazer, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Hi Guys
    We are starting the AQA course in September on Life Issues and starting with the Animal Rights section. Does anyone have any ideas, schemes of work etc. that they would be willing to share or perhaps someone is interested in doing any collaborative work? I have never taught this spec or anything similar to it as we used to do the World Religion Spec.
    Any ideas or help greatly received.

[​IMG]

2. pete14

pete14 New commenter

As with the Religion and Morality thread, there is a scheme of work for each of the new specification units, on the AQA website. They include lots of ideas and activities some of which you may choose to use. Of course you can write your own but using the one provided, and presumably adapting it should save you a lot of time and effort. The Nelson Thornes book written for the unit is endorsed by AQA so is guaranteed to include all you need.

3. I have looked at the rs scheme of the aqa website and thought the whole thing was rather uninspiring and very few activities are suggested.......unless i am looking in the wrong place. The Nelson Thornes book is good for information but again it is only based around comprehension based activities...i am looking for ideas to really engage students not just comprehension activities, a couple of mind maps and a research lesson using ICT which is all i have gleaned from these resources so far!

4. I am currently writing lesson plans for this unit. If you give me your email address I will send you them as they are done.

5. WillowFae

WillowFae New commenter

How many lessons do you have to cover each unit? I have 6-8 1hr10min lessons and am struggling to get it all in. They did animal issues last term before I arrived at the school and I'm doing religion and planet earth with them this term.

6. WillowFae

WillowFae New commenter

Of course, by unit I mean topic!

7. I only have 6 and am also struggling. I have had to not go to indepth with many of the ways animals are used e.g fur and ivory. I also manage to teach one religions perspective.

8. WillowFae

WillowFae New commenter

Yes, my predecessor just focused on Christianity. It seems a shame not to give them a broader perspective but the time is just not there :(

9. Thanks for that, my address is my screen name @aol.com

I would be happy to collaborate on these things as we have just started the animal rights section and am also finding it hard to find my feet as it is a new course for us.

10. Hi Solis Gazer,

I am in my PGCE year block plaement A and am about to start teaching this very topic but I am fining it difficult to find a starting point, can you possibly give me some direction on how to start and activities to go with this?

I am really struggling so any help would be appreciated,

Many thanks

11. Hi
    Just saw your message on the above and I am currently working on this - would you be kind enough to forward me any resources ? I will forward mine but working on it over 1/2 term.....
    Email address : senthamac@gmail.com
    Cheers
    Redlotus

12. Hi
    I have just seen this post, and I know I'm a little late to replay.
    I am new to teaching the AQA Religion and Life Issues and Religion and Morality units. I am in a tiny department (there's me, and a long term cover teacher) and would love to be able to share resources with sucessful departments elsewhere.
    If you had any bits and pieces you'd be happy to share, it'd be great to hear frm you.
    Thanks, Becky

13. I start with should animals have the same rights as humans...

I use a lot of scripture quotes for all of the topics.

An outstanding starter: is to guess the milk - can they taste the difference between organic/non-organic. I usually have students in groups - and they must explain why? This leads to different farming methods, and why Muslims/Jewish/Christians should look after animals - link to stewardship.

I have a basic system - pupils choose their religions they want to study for each topic - no more than two for each topic.

Teach for 3 lessons, peer assessed test, teach 2 lessons ( includes exam technique and command words), Finish with a Mock test.