1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA Sociology A2 - SCLY3 and SCLY4 - How were your results?

Discussion in 'Social sciences' started by cardiffian, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    We've just analysed our results to these A2 modules and are disappointed to say the least. What have other people thought? We were particularly disappointed with the SCLY4 results. Are there any teacher tips you can advice to getting the top marks in these questions - particularly the 21 marker, the methods in context 15 marker and the 33 marker?

2. Hi all,
    We've just analysed our results to these A2 modules and are disappointed to say the least. What have other people thought? We were particularly disappointed with the SCLY4 results. Are there any teacher tips you can advice to getting the top marks in these questions - particularly the 21 marker, the methods in context 15 marker and the 33 marker?

3. Hey, I haven't atarted teaching sociology yet, but I was at our results debrief meeting yesterday. SCLY 4 also wasn't great for us, & that was with a strong & experienced teacher. It was felt this may be due to the lack of field work which resulted in students being unable to draw out certain skills & experience...... not sure if that helps!!

4. That does help. Thank you!

5. Had very mixed results, SCLY3 resits were poor, but the January paper had been demolished by most students. This had no bearing on SCLY4 where a lot of students underperformed. Had Every Grade from A* down to a number of U's. So I've recalled the top papers and a C grade to see what was happening.
    I have some older papers where students have got full marks, if you'd like a copy of these, I'm happy to share, just send me your e-mail in a message.

6. My SCLY4 were good, SCLY3 were OK (based on student targets).
    Not sure about tips really...lots and lots of practice of the Methods in Context Qs. I'm an examiner for SCLY2 and have to say those Qs are done poorly, I would guess the same is true of SCLY4. It's a tough unit - lots of content. I'm not sure lack of fieldwork is the cause of poor results necessarily. I tend to get students discussing a topic and how to applies to method in small groups.,..getting them to come up with some ideas of issues. I have told mine that the Methods in Context Qs need them to think on their own - they might not necessarily need exact content that we have covered - they need to use their brains.
    I also think it's really important to emphasize the fact that A02 is worth more than A01 on the big mark Qs (different from AS). I gave mine language to help them evaluate and analyse and we looked at egs.

7. This is very helpful; it is dk@wsfc.ac.uk
    I can send you some SCLY3 examplar essays in return if you like?

8. SCLY3 was excellent - however we did this in June this year and SCLY4 in Jan. I also changed from Beliefs/Religion to Mass Media a year ago. Both years' results on SCLY3 have been fab so justifying the change in topic!
    SCLY4 was a mixed bag. There were three Us in January so they re-sat in June. Aside from that we had a few As and then mostly C/D area.