1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA science resists June 2012?

Discussion in 'Science' started by Doodlebug1, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Doodlebug1

Doodlebug1 New commenter

Hi,

Just wanting a bit of advise about resists, my neice recieved her physics and biology results today, 79% in Physics and 70% in Biology (Science A 4461). Shes wondering whether its worth resitting to try to achieve an A or A* but she told me her teacher said that if she resits and gets a lower grade then thats the one they will use, I thought previously they will take the higher grade for the full qualification so if they did badly in the resit it wouldnt matter as they had a higher grade in the original paper, is that right??
    Also what would be your thoughts on resitting? Is it worth it? Don't know what the grade boundaries are either so don't know if she was even close to an A to begin with.

Thanks for reading

2. Doodlebug1

Doodlebug1 New commenter

Hi,

Just wanting a bit of advise about resists, my neice recieved her physics and biology results today, 79% in Physics and 70% in Biology (Science A 4461). Shes wondering whether its worth resitting to try to achieve an A or A* but she told me her teacher said that if she resits and gets a lower grade then thats the one they will use, I thought previously they will take the higher grade for the full qualification so if they did badly in the resit it wouldnt matter as they had a higher grade in the original paper, is that right??
    Also what would be your thoughts on resitting? Is it worth it? Don't know what the grade boundaries are either so don't know if she was even close to an A to begin with.

Thanks for reading

3. myorangecrush

myorangecrush New commenter

Depends on the 40% rule and if she's doing triple.

Does she know her UPS score?

Grade
    Max A* A B C D E
    Scaled mark 60 44 34 24 14 11 9
    UMS/Points 100 90 80 70 60 50 45

So, 79% is an A*!

or did she do foundation?

Basically, she has to do 40% of the course at the end. Each part is worth 25%. She still has Chemistry to go, and the internal assessment. So, she could resit one and they'd give her the highest mark of the two, as she's sitting Chemistry as well for the 40%.