1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA Psychology A - Textbook??

Discussion in 'Social sciences' started by jackt67, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Hi guys,
    I am a new Psychology teacher, teaching the AQA A syllabus at A-Level and I thought I had made the right decision in purchasing the Nelson Thornes textbook. I thought to myself that I would simply teach the entire course from these books because as they are AQA endorsed, how could I go wrong. I have to say that I am struggling.
    It seems as though some areas are not explained with enough detail and some are explained in too much detail. I do not know when to go in to more detail and when to cut the teaching short.
    What textbooks are you all using for this spec? Please help!
    Jack

2. Hi guys,
    I am a new Psychology teacher, teaching the AQA A syllabus at A-Level and I thought I had made the right decision in purchasing the Nelson Thornes textbook. I thought to myself that I would simply teach the entire course from these books because as they are AQA endorsed, how could I go wrong. I have to say that I am struggling.
    It seems as though some areas are not explained with enough detail and some are explained in too much detail. I do not know when to go in to more detail and when to cut the teaching short.
    What textbooks are you all using for this spec? Please help!
    Jack

3. blt

blt New commenter

Hi Jack,

I'm sorry to say this but - never just follow a textbook - endorsed or otherwise. The publishers tell the writing team how many pages they can have for each topic which of course condenses some topics too much and spreads others too thinly.

Get the AQA scheme of work off their website and then, as a starting point for each topic, review each available textbook and see which covers the topic in the best detail. Use one or more to create handouts, power points etc. Then use those as the basis for the activities you create for lessons.

Hope this helps.

4. That does help indeed. It's made me feel rather naive, although I guess that is because I was being naive!
    Thanks for your advice, I will use a variety of textbooks now. Annoyed at the whole 'Endorsed by AQA' status though!
    Cheers,
    Jack

5. ela86

ela86 New commenter