1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA PSD phased out... what to replace it with

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by artbinki, May 1, 2020.

1. artbinki

artbinki New commenter

Hi there
    as a SLD/CLD and MLD secondary we have used the units for pshe careers and citizenship in the AQA PSD course and corresponding UAS for lower ability pupils. This is being phased out after next year so i need to prep new courses starting this September. I know a lot of SPecial secondaries run this course - what are you replacing it with????

2. cingirl

cingirl New commenter

Hi, we use LASER qualifications, some of which, presumably like your PSD course, are being hit by the funding review and will therefore not be available, but some will be remaining, we just won't have the same breadth of choice that we did for accrediting eg, we may not be able to accredit at Award level, but will at certificate, and Diploma hopefully. We have also built a lot of our own accreditations to suit our students and accredit these through LASER's Quality Mark scheme, which has been amazingly useful for our school.

artbinki likes this.
  3. artbinki

artbinki New commenter

Thank you Cin Girl
    We still do AQA Unit award scheme - but thats accreditation not qualification.
    We also do AQA ELC in eng maths and science

im just looking to 'fill' life skills, careers, pshe and citizenship.
    I'm going to look at Laser, but have already looked at Ascentis - the problem with all of these quals is we have a 5 year rolling programme in Y10-14 as pupils are often grouped together, I need a qual thats going to be around in 5 years as we are having to reinvent the planning every 2 years as quals drop off. Also looking at Edecel WJEC and Princes Trust and Open Awards. Will choose the 'longest ' approved qual to give some certainty to teachers planning .

helen norris likes this.