1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA Product Design Resources!!!

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by TROUTY53, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Hello all....

I'm in my second year of teaching and loving it however I'm finding that I'm spending so many hours preparing resources to help me teach my gcse kids who are extremely challenging. I am producing interactive PPT's, scouring the web for videos that are relevant and trying to think of any imaginative way to make the theory topics enjoyable for the, using computers, video cameras, games where possible. Although this seems to work and keep them entertained, I am running out of ideas as well as killing myself in the meantime spending about 5 hours preparing for each lesson.. I'm sure I'm not the only one doing this but it see,s crazy that we all are doing so much hard work when if we got together we could share our time around.... I know we need to differentiate to our kids but there must be so many of us teaching the same spec!

I am wondering if there is anyone out there who wishes to join forces and resource share... I know there is loads of resources on the tes but it seems that people don't really want to share the really good ones that they've spent so many hours doing. I know I feel a bit reluctant when I'm spending so much time doing the resources and othe people reeling the rewards however if it is fair sharing of tasks then I think we will all be more willing to share. If anyone is interested the please get in touch and maybe we can start sharipng some really good resources... I'm not saying my resources are the best out there by any means but I think it's worth considering for all of us...

Cheers

Simon

2. We have a very extensive set of resources for this course and would be willing to do a swap. Send your disk to Brian Russell at Dixons City Academy, Ripley Street, Bradford BD5 7RR and we will send ours by return.

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I have to say I was royally ticked off by this comment. I've shared all my BEST work on TES (which took me hours) and I know a lot of other teachers have too. I see you haven't even shared 1... maybe you should start participating in the community in order to benefit from it? [​IMG]

4. finamar

finamar New commenter

Totally agree with littlemissraw: I've spent hours and hours on the resources I've shared on this site! If every teacher shared just one resource what a difference it could make to us all!

5. I think it may be worth giving TROTY53 a break they are obvious new and its only their first post both on the forum and in teaching. I think it would be better to saw well done for spending the time to both develop a resource and then putting it out for either shareing. There are stiil far far to many teacher who do not both with either the forum or share resources.

6. littlemissraw

I'm happy to give new posters the benefit of the doubt with daft
    questions, not using the search facility, not understanding forum
    etiquette etc, we've all been there. However I felt his post was just
    downright rude and insulting to all of us who have gone out our way to
    help others by sharing our work on an open site.
    Even more so as
    you all know how I'm struggling to get work. With the OP's attitude I'd
    be thinking 'screw all the teachers on TES who use my resources, if it
    isn't helping me then why should I keep it up there...?'
    And an offer of a swap isn't really sharing, its a trade.

7. I think there are a lot of great resources on TES (I have been using a couple of yours regularly over the years miss raw- thanks!) However, I think the search function on TES to actually find resources is very poor. If I'm looking for something and search for it it is generally useless. However if I browse for a while I find lots of good stuff that the search didn't bring up- does anyone else find that? The old system was better.

In terms of people not sharing, I think it's very selfish. I work on the basis that if I've downloaded something and used it (sometimes you download it and it's not suitable) then I should repay the 'community' by uploading something. I don't understand why people are precious with their resources. At the end of the day we are all on the same side, we are not in competition with each other (unless we're at an interview!)

Like TROJAN said- resources can take hours to make...much much longer than the 60min lesson we make them for, so it makes sense to share...I'd be really interested to see some of your resources TROJAN, I could do with some inspiration at the moment!

Little Miss Raw- do you ever refer to your TES resources on your CV?

8. Sorry I meant TROUTY not TROJAN!

9. littlemissraw

I do agree it's sometimes hard to find what you're after, and I have seen some very random bits uploaded (that made me wonder if it was a resource for us or just a place to store their files)
    However if people rated the resources too it would help. I think last time I worked it out that roughly only 0.01% of people who'd downloaded something left a rating/comment.
    But still to claim people don't share their best work...

(I do mention TES resources and the award invite too doodle, thanks for the suggestion :) Didn't seem to do me much good in the UK jobs I applied for and think it may carry less now I'm in Aus. Yesterday's application wanted a 2 page letter, a page for each of the essential criteria, 4 pages on teaching in accordance with the guidelines and the application. Feeling so disheartened) x

10. I dont know if this is of any use but i know that CR Clarkes had a lonk with a group down under who may be interested in your ideas and resources. They had come up with a very good product that CR Clarkes now sell which is a very clever drawing board for isometric drawings etc. There website is.........
    http://www.designability.com.au/
    Hope this may help.

11. Thanks Benedict that site looks really good...wonder if there is anyway they can offer online resources to UK teachers....though I'd love to go on a CPD course in Oz, I doubt my CPD manager would provide the funds...

12. littlemissraw

Thanks [​IMG] I've dropped them an email so will see if anything comes of it. Really sweet of you x

13. Emailed them yesterday - all their resources are available for the UK - films/ paperwork etc. You may be interested in my post about their ecolamp?