1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA Product Design A Level Project Help

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by cmcghee06, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Dear all,

I am a recently qualified Design Technology teacher and have just started a job where the examining board is AQA. Having only known Edexcel, I wondered whether anybody could offer advice on A Level (Particularly AS) project ideas. Having read the specification numerous times, it is very vague on what you can actually make.

So my question really is, are they after a product with packaging and graphics/ + or POS stand. Or because it is a Product Design (3D Design) course, can you get away with a newly designed chair as long as it meets the specification points etc. If so, for the making side of things, is it expected to create the full sized product that you can sit on and potentially make it out of wood for example? The student can then get different processes and materials into the project through their design ideas/flair. I am struggling to differentiate between an RM project and a Product Design project at A Level.

I have requested help from AQA but it will be at the end of the month/early October and obviously the coursework is starting ASAP.

Any help/guidance and/or project ideas of what other centres have done/are doing would be a confidence boost going forward.

2. splinters

splinters Established commenter

There is no difference. Unlike GCSE product design where card/paper/packaging is a core material you can use whatever is appropriate. That is why there is no graphics A Level. I often use furniture as a project and never take the portfolio based approach (different tasks for each objective). Take a look at my website for some project ideas.
    www.woodwardp.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
    Look under education. Hope this helps a bit.

aslondon likes this.