1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA Philosophy Free Will and Determinism

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by emcphee, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Is there anyone who has taught this module before and would mind giving me some guidance?
    It's the first year I have taught Philosophy A Level and although I'm really enjoying it, it's been a while since I studied it at uni and I'm struggling to get my head around some of the basics... When it refers to 'Determinism', are we just talking about causal determinism? And therefore fatalism and predestination are NOT forms of determinism? I'm very confused. I really want to be able to structure the lessons in a systematic way to make it easier for the students.

2. Hi I have taught AQA Free Will and Determinism for 3 years now. You are expected to teach them about causal determinism as well as predestination and fatalism. The January 2012 PHIL 2 exam had a specific question on predestination and questions contrasting fatalism with determinism have also appeared. So all three form part of any discussion on determinism. Hope this helps. By the way it's a good unit to teach and the section in the text book is accessible and relatively for students unlike some other sections (most notably Reason and Experience!!!).

3. Thanks, I really appreciate you taking the time to reply. I think my confusion stems from the definitions of the main terms - whether fatalism and religious predestination are actually types of determinism... When 'determinism' is referred to in the Lacewing, it seems to refer only to causal determinism, whereas in the Cardinal, Hayward and Jones textbook it talks about 'types' of determinism and includes fatalism and religious predestination. And then obviously the June 2009 paper had the exam question 'Contrast fatalism and determinism' which made me re-think.
    I agree with you that it's a good unit - really interesting and a lot of discussion worthy topics - the students have all said they are finding it much more accessible than the Reason and Experience.