1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA Personal & Social Education (5800)

Discussion in 'PSHE' started by YOI_Teacher, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Hi,

We are currently running the Level 2 course to approx 500 year 9 and 10 students at the moment through one hour a week core PSHE lessons. Our main issue is the time constraint that we have, not with the course itself. It's going very well and is interesting to teach. The best thing to do would be to join the Teacher Network Group for the course which you can find at the bottom of their information page on the AQA PSE website. This can give you details of other schools which are running the course, however do not expect a huge reply! I didn't realise there are any CD-rom resources for the course??? If you contact AQA they will send you example material for the course for all entry levels which we have found very useful!

Hope that helps,

2. Thanks for the suggestion re the Teachers Newtowrk Group.
    The resource I have found is http://classroom-resources.co.uk/acatalog/Personal___Social_Education_AQA_5800_CD-ROM__REVISED_FOR_YEAR_2010_PLUS_.html
    Roughly how many hours do you find the students need to complete a unit?
    Thanks again [​IMG]

3. Have just had a look. I would be slightly worried about ordering from them seeing as it doesn't state what level the CDrom sheets are and the type of worksheets you use with Entry level 1,2,3 are different to those used at Level 1 and Level 2. The best thing to do would be to contact AQA using the phone number on the PSE website and asking them to send you the information pack. Ours arrived in about two days and we have modelled our worksheets on the examples given to us, as AQA have sent them as good examples you know that you can't be going too far wrong!

We are in the process of making unit booklets instead of having lots of different worksheets as this seems to be what others have done. They do not take very long to put together. If you send me your email address I can send you an example of what we have used for Unit 2 level 2 - drugs education.

The time consuming part is creating the lessons to give pupils the knowledge to complete the booklets. We are spending roughly just under a term on each unit, so completing over 3 years. However, we are doing this to 16 classes of 30 with a wide spread ability - with a smaller group it would not take so long, plus some units are much shorter than others. Which entry level are you going to do as this also impacts on the time it will take, we are trying to get the level 2 full GCSE grade B equivalent in one hour a week slots to two whole year groups. This means we need to complete 7 units so we get the certificate, however there are 7 other options as to how you can deliver the course with different qualifications.

4. The groups would be much smaller, in reality initally only upto about about 30pupils, so we have that on our side. And probably aim at completing two units per 6 weeks; we need to cover ground as out students may not be with us for too long before they leave/move...
    I would hope that all could cover E3 without a problem as its PSHE, with most L1/2....
    I looked at the worksheets - and they appeared to be diffentiated as according to each levsl criterionand a good basis for our teachers to start from when embarking upon this - I don't wish to make this too onerous for staff as we have a few changes in the pipeline atm...
    I'll PM you with my email!!!
    Thank you :)

5. I would have thought you will struggle to complete two units in six weeks! I see all my groups once a week for an hour and even with my top set yr 10 classes it has taken 12 weeks so far to complete unit 2 drugs ed. I believe AQA recommend 20 hours per unit to complete. Also you will need to be careful with levels as if they do E3 I don't think they can also enter L2 - for my students to get a Level 2, 4 units must be L2 and 3 can be L1, however we are trying to get all to work at Level 2.
    You will also need to create powerpoints and resources for the pupils as it requires a lot of extra knowledge to complete answers in detail, so there is a lot of work that still needs to go into it. I can send you some examples of resouces we have used.

6. Thank you for all of your support! :)
    I'll take on board all you've mentioned!