1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

aqa or edexcel?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by france1938, Feb 18, 2016.

1. france1938

france1938 New commenter

good evening all

I am in the process of reading the specifications and I am more attracted to edexcel for some reasons but would like to hear your opinions on the new specs. Any suggestions and comments welcome

2. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

I like the support/online training offered by AQA. The assessments should end up being equal in most respects with all of the guidelines they have to meet.

3. toadman

toadman Occasional commenter

Has to be AQA- support excellent and scheme fine but I guess most will go with what they know so far.

4. divine_dodo

divine_dodo New commenter

We're also swapping to AQA from WJEC. Really excellent support from them so far and the exams look the most straightforward - although with the tight rein from DfE/OFQUAL I don't think they'll be much in it.

5. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

AQA for me. I've done three boards in the past 9 years, and AQA has been IMO the best by a long, er, whiteboard marker. :)

BrightonEarly likes this.
  6. dutschke68

dutschke68 New commenter

I think the book and film list is much better with Edexcel - far more choice, which could become important a few years down the line.

7. dutschke68

dutschke68 New commenter

I've had an email from Edexcel to say that the both of the A Level and GCSE specs are now ofqual approved. The website doesn't say it yet, but the email said that's currently being updated. Based on this, the fact the I'm current very happy with them for both levels and the wider choice of books and films, I'm going with them. Anybody know if aqa or ocr are close to approval yet?

8. cake4tea

cake4tea New commenter

Rachel Hawkes has a compare and contrast section for all specs on her website.

jkhanom and BrightonEarly like this.
  9. BrightonEarly

BrightonEarly Occasional commenter

Yes, I've seen her website - she does so much to help linguists. It's not all about earning money with training and support. She has spent a lot of time on comparing the providers.

10. wilburkins

wilburkins New commenter

I went to a meeting Rachel Hawkes hosted last week in Peterborough with two representatives from AQA and the majority of MFL HoDs from the area. I was very much persuaded that AQA is the way to go even though I have been really happy with the exam board I currently use.
    Then I see comments about the AQA listening exam for French this year compared with how straightforward the Spanish WJEC exam appeares to have been this morning, according to my students. Not seen the paper yet as I can't have access to it until Monday but they seemed happy on the whole. So now I am confused all over again!

11. jkhanom

jkhanom New commenter

Hi I was just wondering where this is. Also, we are now considering changing to GCSE French instead of IGCSE French. Can anybody contrast the key advantages or disadvantages please?