1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA or Edexcel English?

Discussion in 'English' started by LinW2010, Feb 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. LinW2010

LinW2010 New commenter

Hi folks, I'm an ex-teacher who now tutors, and I'm wondering if there are any traps I need to be aware of between the exam boards with the new specifications. Are the exams and the skills needed roughly equivalent? Do I need to tailor the tutoring specifically? Obviously I'm working with a range of students on different exam boards and with different skills, so I'm hoping there are no nasty twists.
    Thanks.

2. CandysDog

CandysDog Occasional commenter

You definitely need to tailor tutoring. This is especially true for the reading sections of GCSE English Language exams. I’ve always thought these sections are more about exam technique than anything else and nothing in the new specs has changed my mind. There is more commonality in writing, GCSE English Literature and A Level.

AQA, by far the most popular exam board for GCSE*, does have some nice ‘further insights’ booklets on its website, which explain what it wants for certain questions.

* How popular? Well, these are the entry figures for last summer’s GCSEs:
    • AQA: 461,999 Lang / 420,784 Lit
    • Eduqas: 80,192 Lang / 59,354 Lit
    • Edexcel: 75,475 / 54,937 Lit
    • OCR: 15,995 Lang / 14,161 Lit

3. lighthouse_keeper

lighthouse_keeper New commenter

I tutor both and the exam skills do differ in terms of how questions are laid out, though not in the basics of analysis etc. To give your students confidence you need to be clear in your own mind about how each of the exams work. The language papers differ significantly in layout and what is expected in certain questions.