1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA Online Standardisation

Discussion in 'English' started by sleepyhead, May 17, 2011.

1. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

Are you marking ENG1??? If so, we can't standardise yet - there are no scripts because they haven't done the exam.

2. EmmaBB

EmmaBB New commenter

It's the online stuff from January. I *think* I'm supposed to do that first, then i do this year's scripts. I dunno. I'm confused by the whole thing!

3. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

Is this on the extranet???

4. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

Okay, I've found it.
    There's no material available at all in mine, apart from the paper and the mark scheme. IS that what you have or do you have scripts?

5. EmmaBB

EmmaBB New commenter

Yes Sleephead, I had an email today saying it was available. I was sent a password to log on with along with the pin which is on the ad label. This is from one of the gazillion PDF, tutorials I've ploughed through:
    Some provisional marking must also be undertaken
    before standardisation, as detailed below.
    At least two days after the date of the
    examination, but before standardisation, you
    must log on to e-Marker® and begin to mark
    10-20 of each item. These preliminary marks are
    not stored on the software and will be discarded
    after standardisation, however, the number of
    items marked will be reviewed by senior examiners
    completing Examiner performance records. The
    preliminary marking will also give you an opportunity
    to familiarise yourself with the software.
    But I'm no wiser why I'm doing it on the Jan paper. Seems a bit unlikely it will be helpful for a different exam.
    Have emailed my link person but no response...

6. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

I've PMed you.

7. EmmaBB

EmmaBB New commenter

There's a drop down menu at the top (if your tab is labelled AQA OLS Web) and I'm on Task 4 Standadisation Scripts.
    I'm worried now!

8. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

I've got those now.
    I think they're meant to be like the training scripts but they're really for new people, I think, and so that you get used to OLS and it's funny little ways.CMI+ is alleged to have a totally different interface and I am not clear why we're using two different systems.
    They are not the Standardising scripts though...
    Are you doing H or F tier?

9. OMG am sooo confused! Just want the standardisation papers to be available but they're not until the weekend grr. I hate new AQA - remind me why I signed up for marking?

10. EmmaBB

EmmaBB New commenter

Foundation Sleepyhead. Is the system I'm goign to be using the same as they system I'm using for this? I hope so! Only just got the hang of the Annotation thing. I THINK!
    I'm hoping to just do this once to get my head round the spec. Although I might try & do higher one year. I must have lost my mind.

11. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

Money :)
    If you PM me, I will share useful information

12. EmmaBB

EmmaBB New commenter

Thanks.
    Replied to your PM.[​IMG]

13. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

You don't want to know this - but apparently not. CMI+ or whatever the stupid name is is meant to be populated with actually useful phrases and works by drag and drop rather than this numpty system. Sadly, the waste of space training I went on didn't actually show that at all.
    I always do H, and my colleague always does F - except in November when she does H. She gets upset by the amount they write!!

14. EmmaBB

EmmaBB New commenter

Yep I'm hoping for some blank pages!
    Right well I think I'll stop then. Will it matrer if I dont complete the Jamie Oliver stuff? I could drink another glass of red instead. Seems a better use of my time.
    Thanks for all your help.

15. regentsreject

regentsreject Occasional commenter

You will be marking using CMI+ (Computer Marking from Image) and this is not the same system you will do your 5/6 standardising scripts on. The good news is that CMI+ is quicker and easier to use. There will be a bank of comments which you can drag and drop, a range of marking symbols which you can apply to the script easily by double clicking and a comment box if needed. The system uses pre-marked responses called seeds, which are randomly dropped into each marker's allocation. If you fail too many of these, the system will stop you from marking that particular question until you have had the chance to look back at the ones yu got wrong and discuss them with your Team Leader who can then restart you. You should be able to do some training scripts on CMI+ before the live marking starts.
    Once you get used to using CMI+, you will find it quick and easy and preferable to paper scripts - trust me!

16. EmmaBB

EmmaBB New commenter

Thanks Regents.Spoke to my Team leader last night & she said the same thing.
    Fingers crossed.

17. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

This is what is annoying me, Regents. We're being made to deal with S Scripts for a previous exam which are being treated as "training" but we're marking using a totally different system. If CMI+ uses seeds where the "answers" are known, why on earth isn't OLS the same system. I resent wasting my time getting to know an irrevelant mark scheme when I should be clearing my marking ready for the onslaught!

18. regentsreject

regentsreject Occasional commenter

Why not call the examiner section, explain that you are totally familiar and confident with OLS and do you need to do this training? Of course, it may be too late now.

19. I've just done really badly on the standardisation - does this mean I can't mark? Please let me know! I was counting on the money!

20. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

If you mean the OLS based on the January paper, I shouldn't think so. If you mean for the legacy GCSE, you need to speak to your TL.