1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA New Spec Literature

Discussion in 'English' started by millicent_bystander, Feb 2, 2011.

1. millicent_bystander

millicent_bystander New commenter

Hello all,
    Is anyone entering year 10 students for the literature exam in summer 2011? You seem to be able to enter for the poetry exam, but not sure whether you have to submit literature controlled assessments or whether it acts in a modular way, so you submit CAs later and enter remainder of exam in year 11.
    It's in the AQA suggested long term plan but we haven't really followed that to the letter so am now worried that we should be entering students this summer.
    What is everyone else doing?
    Just when I feel we are almost getting on top of this, something else rears its head to spark off more panic. I've tried new spec, it's too complicated, can we go back to the old one now please?

2. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

I think you can<u> just </u>enter them for the poetry because that's 35%. I's one exam out of the way before y11. But then again, the grades are likely to be lower - in our school anyway, most of our A*s 'blossom' in y11.

3. millicent_bystander

Thanks GloriaSunshine. It's so confusing, there seem to be so many different parts to the new spec - and we're teaching media studies alongside Lang and Lit for top sets so having to cram in so much more.
    It might just be worth entering them - although as you say - the higher grade students tend to blossom in year 11 - playing on swings and roundabouts again! :D

4. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Personally, I quite like the new spec so far but, like you, I don't like the twists an turns where you keep realising there's yet something else to consider.

5. millicent_bystander

There is much about it I do like - I think the problem is teaching the old spec at the same time, it seems even more confusing. Once we're fully on one spec with a year's experience behind us, it will probably be easier.
    Can't say what the results will be like though, the mark schemes were supposed to be more lenient to account for controlled conditions, but they seem harsher in some ways, but so vague it's hard to tell what they're actually looking for sometimes!
    Ho hum!

6. regentsreject

regentsreject Occasional commenter

It's fine to enter for the different units at different times - that's the whole point of a unitised course (not modular actually). Students could do Unit 2 of Lit this summer then the rest of the spec next year. They are also allowed to enter Unit 1 and Unit 2 at different tiers if you thought that might be appropriate - maybe put the borderline students or those who are progressing more slowly in for 2F this summer then 1H next summer when they have developed that maturity.
    Mark schemes are intended to be applied as they stand - it's not possible to be more lenient to account for controlled conditions. However, certain elements will differ, for example, what might have constituted "sustained" under coursework criteria will be different under the restrictions of CA. The mark schemes are rewarding the skills demonstrated, which replicate what students will be asked to do in exams - it's not about quantity but quality.
    And it's right about getting used to a spec. I remember the same problems when the legacy spec first came in. I think you need to teach it through once before you have a complete handle on it - almost halfway through now [​IMG]

7. millicent_bystander

Thanks regentsreject that's really helpful and clears up a lot of questions for me. You seem to have the whole spec well and truly worked out.
    I think with our department it's a combination of too many things at once, change to academy and rewriting all units of work, then changing to newly structured day, rewriting units of work again and new spec - all in the space of 18 months! Not waving but drowning!

8. regentsreject

I recognise this only too well. Do you really need to rewrite all units of work? Delegate more and do less! Put non-deadine tasks to the bottom of the pile - If noone chases you for an answer after a couple of days, it wasn't important. File as you go - I used to spend ages looking for things cos I didn't do this! And hold on - you won't drown[​IMG]

9. millicent_bystander

I didn't mean I was rewriting everything myself - we're getting there! And you're right about filing as you go, I'm making a concerted effort to do this - although last term I'd been so organised with some information for my tutor group that I thought I'd lost it - it was filed!!
    Thanks for the help - you seem to be the new spec guru around here - I'm sure I shall be asking you for more help soon!
    We're going with the June entry for our lit classes and planning to do the unit 1s for English and English Language in January of year 11 then leaving remaining literature unit for June (along with any re-sits necessary) and the media unit. I do feel as if it's slotting into place slowly, just hate not knowing the spec inside out!

10. regentsreject

Not sure what you mean by the remaining Literature unit? Students must do 40% of the qualification at the end of the course ie summer of Y11 (June 2012). So make sure this is either Unit 1 or Units 2 & 3 together.

11. millicent_bystander

It's OK regents - I was talking about exams, I hadn't forgotten the CA!