1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA New Spec - Lit poems

Discussion in 'English' started by teachertina, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Hi
    Does anybody know if there are key poems within the poetry clusters like there were in the previous spec?
    Thank you!

2. Yes there are - I read what they were on some AQA literature ages ago but I can't find the info again - would be pleased if anyone had the info (relationships for me).

3. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Sort of. If you look at the powerpoint slides here http://www.aqa.org.uk/resource-zone/english/preparing-to-teach.php there are the poems that will not be named in each tier.

4. regentsreject

regentsreject Occasional commenter

Specially for you tophutt:
    Hour, Harmonium and Sonnet 116 will not be named on F tier
    In Paris With You, Brothers and Sister Maude will not be named on H tier.
    Of course, that doesn't mean students are not allowed to use them - they just won't be named in the question.

5. Thanks RR - you're my hero!

6. regentsreject

Heroine actually! [​IMG]

7. regentsreject

Doh! Don't know how speccy four eyes sneaked in there! (Hope that's not politically incorrect!)

8. Thanks for this, however I have looked at the powerpoint from the link above and it says the following below. I'm guessing these are the named poems as apposed to not the named poems which you said.

<font size="1" face="Arial" color="#424456">The following poems will only be named in Higher Tier questions:
    </font><font size="1" face="Arial,Bold" color="#424456">
    </font>
    <font size="1" face="Arial,Bold" color="#424456">
    </font>
    </font>
    </font>
    <font size="1" face="Arial" color="#424456"><font size="1" face="Arial" color="#424456">The following poems will only be named in Foundation Tier questions:
    </font></font><font size="1" face="Arial,Bold" color="#424456">
    </font>
    </font>
    </font>
    </font>

9. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

I'm not sure what you mean. There are (I think) fifteen poems in each cluster and, so, you could teach a class twelve (fifteen less the three that won't be named) if all students are being entered for either foundation or higher. They will then have a choice of questions.
    If I had a weak group, I might consider leaving out poems but for a mixed or higher class, I probably wouldn't even mention 'key poems'

10. regentsreject

NO! These are the NOT NAMED poems. This means that three poems from each cluster will never be named on F tier and three will never be named on H Tier. So students need to study at least 12 poems in the cluster selected, but could do all 15 if you/they want to. It would be a strange decision to ask students to study 15 but only ever name 3 in the exam!