1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA new English GCSE coursework notes sheet

Discussion in 'English' started by Asta9, Sep 13, 2010.

1. I will ring up AQA tomorrow if needs be, but in the meantime, does anyone know where I can find a copy of the A4 sheet students make notes on and take into their controlled coursework? I have scoured the website but cannot locate it.

2. I had this trouble too, and eventually resorted to phoning them. On the AQA website there is a section called 'Administration'. Click on that and you will see an option called 'Procedures' near the top. You then have to look at the side and go to 'Coursework Administration', 2011, and then find English.
    It is there - but why it needs to be so well hidden is a mystery!

3. I ended up calling them this afternoon but thanks very much, jss81.
    It's so frustrating when crucial resources are hidden in this way!

4. Do the pupils really have to use that proforma? I didn't realise.

5. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Me neither - I don't remember seeing anything in the spec

6. I had in mind a side of A4 though now I'm doubting where that came. The space on that proforma is well off A4. The gaps for declaration and signatures make it look officially required though. Anyone know for sure?

7. I think you definitely have to use that sheet. If you look at the English area of the AQA site and find the Controlled Assessment guidance for English then there is a section which says this:

<font size="2" face="ArialMT">Candidates may take brief notes into the formal
    assessment period. These must be checked to
    ensure they do not include plagiarised text,
    detailed planning grids or a pre-prepared draft.

Candidates may </font><font size="2" face="Arial-BoldMT">not </font><font size="2" face="ArialMT">take drafts into the</font><font size="2" face="ArialMT">
    </font><font size="2" face="Arial-BoldMT">during </font><font size="2" face="ArialMT">the assessment period.</font><font size="2" face="ArialMT"> Any preliminary drafts produced by the candidate
    during the assessment period must be submitted
    with the final draft for assessment and
    moderation.
    Feedback should </font><font size="2" face="Arial-BoldMT">not </font><font size="2" face="ArialMT">be given on drafts prepared</font><font size="2" face="ArialMT"> once the assessment period has started.

The space is ridiculously small though...
    </font>

8. We were shown the sheet at a Preparing to Teach meeting last term and told that it must be used. Would never have found it without the post above.

9. I think students need to use it too. I had seen it at the preparing to teach meetings and there are filled-in versions in the booklet with coursework examples in.

10. regentsreject

regentsreject Occasional commenter

Here is the link to the notes proforma.
    http://web.aqa.org.uk/admin/crf_newgcse_2011.php
    You can also contact AQA and request bulk copies to save your printing costs.
    AQA found in trialling CA that candidates did better with a smaller number of notes as they were often overwhelmed by having too many. The limitations on space are designed to help students and to act a s a better preparation for exam performance. The notes must be collected in and attached to the students' work and submitted to the moderator.

11. Our HoD has said that our students cannot do a paragraph plan, i.e. key words that will remind them of the focus of each paragraph. Is this correct? I was under the impression, after reading the spec that they can't take in detailed notes or drafts. Who's right??! I have asked to see an example but was told there aren't any!
    Any ideas?

12. I'm worrying about this, too. Guidance seems thin on the ground. I'd missed the notes from completely.

13. There are examples. We saw them at a PTTeach meeting. As far as I remember, key words are fine as are page numbers and paragraph headings. Plans (I think) are OK so long as they aren't too detailed - like a writing frame, I suppose. And they must be the student's own. I got the impression that they weren't going to be too fussy so long as there was no continuous prose. I can't find the examples but will look for them when I'm back in school net week.

14. That would be really helpful. My HoD told me that students could only write random, unconnected words dotted around the page in no order, which made a mockery of the notes we expect them to take anywhere else in school! Thanks PinkRuby.

15. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Occasional commenter Forum guide

At an AQA meeting, I was definitely told that students did NOT need to use the proforma but could take in 1 sheet of A4. I highlighted and underlined it so I would remember, but now I'm doubting myself...Any AQA bods on here? (We still haven't been allocated an advisor!)

16. regentsreject

AQA recommends the use of the official notes proforma to ensure consistency of size of space allowed. The official form also adds a sense of gravitas to the whole process and contains the requisite spaces for signatures. An ordinary A4 sheet would not fulfil these requirements.
    the key point about the notes is that they must the the student's own unaided work. If they want to make themselves a plan, they may do so, but there should be no continuous prose as one poster has already pointed out. It is possible to download the materials from the Preparing to Teach meetings at the following link. These should contain examples of students' completed notes proformas.
    http://www.aqa.org.uk/resource-zone/english/preparing-to-teach.php

17. I was also told it didin't have to be on official not paper and one side of A4 was the maximum. I wrote it down and highlighted it too!!
    We did a Controlled Assessment at the end of year 9 and didn't have the notes sheets then, so if that's the case those assessments won't count for anything!

18. regentsreject

If those assessments were carried out before the notes proforma was available, they will not be rejected just because the notes are not on the official form. The sheet is one side of A4 so in that sense, the advice given to previous posters is correct. The point about the official proforma is that the space available for notes is less than a side of blank A4 and this is intended to be of benefit to students (ie limiting the number of notes students have to plough through when writing up their assessment). It also serves to formalise the process and reminds staff and students of the need to sign to indicate that it is the student's own work. There are completed notes proformas in the preparing to teach materials which can be used as exemplars. Available at the following link:
    http://www.aqa.org.uk/resource-zone/english/preparing-to-teach.php

19. anteater

anteater New commenter

I've repeatedly trawled through everything on this page, and can't find any completed exemplar proformas.
    Can you point me in the right direction, regents?