1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA - New Assessment Planner tool to help you meet the 40% rule

Discussion in 'Science' started by AQA_GCSE_Sciences, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Our Assessment Planner has been launched to help you plan your assessments and confirm you've met the 40% rule.
    Our Assessment Planner shows you:
    • which units apply to the different GCSE Sciences courses
    • how the units are weighted
    • an interactive table to place the assessments units
    • a confirmation button to ensure your assessment planning meets the new 40% rule.
    View our Assessment Planner now.

2. Our Assessment Planner has been launched to help you plan your assessments and confirm you've met the 40% rule.
    Our Assessment Planner shows you:
    • which units apply to the different GCSE Sciences courses
    • how the units are weighted
    • an interactive table to place the assessments units
    • a confirmation button to ensure your assessment planning meets the new 40% rule.
    View our Assessment Planner now.

3. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Has the spec been accepted now? I was under the impression we were still waiting for it to be signed off and it was the assessment that was causing the problems.

4. Can people really not add to 40%! Actually, I am worried that our SMT don't understand the implications of the new rules, they probably can't count to 40. The core science is a concern!

5. I think it is a useful tool, having so many different sciences running at school it is nice to see them how they all fit together.

6. Hmm I am sure that sentence made sense when I wrote it.

7. Mangleworzle

Can AQA tell us if the assessment has been accepted yet? It seems pointless to plan for something that hasn't.
    AQA have been "reassuring" us that it is ok since last summer, since when it has bounced back three times. The course I went on last term run by AQA again reassured us and then it bounced back again. Then again it was more of a sales event for people who were wavering rather than anything useful for those of us already doing it.

8. TRJ

TRJ New commenter

no it is still being looked at

9. Thank you for your questions.
    Like all Awarding Bodies, we are still awaiting accreditation. We will be posting as soon as we hear news.
    Regarding the Assessment Planner, it not only confirms if you have met the 40% rule but stops you choosing prohibited combinations e.g. GCSE with common units cannot be certificated in the same series. Whether you are the Head of Department or a first time teacher, we hope you find this useful.
    Look forward to keeping you updated.

Kind Regards,
    GCSE Science Team

10. Mangleworzle

One of the aspects that always semed dodgy to me was the way the 40% rule is interpreted using coursework that was done any time that year, that's not at the end of the course by anyone's reckoning and stikes me as being against the spirit of the meaning.
    Maybe you'll have got it through but until it's accredited I'll just assume it's a maybe and not a definite.