1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA Music AS results....

Discussion in 'Music' started by hoildaysrule, Aug 21, 2009.

1. hoildaysrule

hoildaysrule New commenter

I am very disappointed, even upset with my results. The performance marks are at least a grade, if not two below what i predicted. Including Grade VIII performers est. A given D. The performances were no way that bad.

After attending AQA meeting it was made very clear to me by the leader, that accompanying WAS acceptable to be used as Ensemble coursework. The group had a discussion led by the leader addressing this fact. It was from that meeting that i decided to use accompanying as the ensemble for some candidates.

Composition marks were also lower that expected by some distance....

Has anybody had similar experiences. please help.

because we all know remarking is useless.

many thanks

2. hoildaysrule

I am very disappointed, even upset with my results. The performance marks are at least a grade, if not two below what i predicted. Including Grade VIII performers est. A given D. The performances were no way that bad.

After attending AQA meeting it was made very clear to me by the leader, that accompanying WAS acceptable to be used as Ensemble coursework. The group had a discussion led by the leader addressing this fact. It was from that meeting that i decided to use accompanying as the ensemble for some candidates.

Composition marks were also lower that expected by some distance....

Has anybody had similar experiences. please help.

because we all know remarking is useless.

many thanks

3. I've had a similar situation to you, a slating set of feedback from the performance moderator, and significantly lower composition results than I expected, yet the examiners report suggests that I was on the right lines. I've emailed the subject officer at AQA and copied in the coursework advisor for MUSC2 who I'd had contact with before they submitted the work, but I guess I'm going to have to try to get feedback on all of this but it's so expensive!

4. I'm a NQT starting this year, but have already got a long affiliation with the school so was in on A-level results day. We had a C and a D for our two pupils. Composition marks were really low, 41 and 49 respectively, but the performance marks were good - 94 and 96 respectively, pleasantly surprised as neither are above gradde 5/6.
    Remarking is useless. We had one A2 candidate who got a U for his investigation, report and composition, got it remarked and came back a U. He stayed on another year this year and his stuff was submitted again, pretty much exactly the same and he got an A! There were a few small changes to it, but NOTHING that warranted it to go from a U to an A! Beeezare.

5. hoildaysrule

thanks,

My feedback was that everything was in line with spec, but the ensembles weren't (which is total and utter carp) as i followed the instruction given my a course leader in a meeting.
    This is my first year at AQA so I followed all the advice given to me.

Examboards are like the mafia the close ranks when they know something wrong has happened. So I don't hold my breath for remarks, but I'm going to kick up a big fuss..

6. We have had a varied experience with remarks with AQA. We once had a composition (in the old AS) that more than doubled it's mark on a remark and then last year we had a problem with our A2 Report and Compositions marks. For the last 4 years I have been spot on with my teaching and marking if this unit with a lot of students getting full marks. Last year I sent 3 away of which 2 I felt deserved full marks. One of these students kept the marks I had given whilst the other dropped to an E! The problem was the cheif examiner for this unit had been our moderator and at first they said because they didn't have anyone more senior to remark it so just offered us the same person to remark it. In the end the mark didn't move at all but fortunately the school supported me and the head wrote five letters to the board. I was relieved this year when my marks weren't changed and one student got full marks!
    In general our AS results were good and the performance marks were only moderated a little (so 5 of our students got an A for performance) there is only one composition mark that I will question (a student who got an A for performance, a B for the exam and a U for his composition) as I had a quick listen to the compositions before they went and I don't understand this grade.
    So with a remark you might be lucky or you might not!

7. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

What your course leader said is irrelevant. Did you follow what it says in the specification? If you did, AQA don't have a leg to stand on.
    It really is essential to rely ONLY on the specification, since any appeal - however far it goes - will use that as the reference point.

8. hoildaysrule

Your quite right of course florian.I did refer to the spec.
    I quote.......

Additionally,
    the candidate may demonstrate ensemble skills by
    accompanying one or more other performers.

All my candidates did this...It seems that they think they haven't shown ensemble skills. They course leader assured us that accompanying was allowed. This is backed up in the spec. "One or more"
    The course i was on many teachers wanted assurances that this was the case and he just gave it. My performers were all grade V-VIII. I am a trained convseratiore musician, i only say this to make myself feel better, I am able to judge performances. I thought.....

This really is turning into a terrible dream.

9. pauljoecoe

pauljoecoe New commenter

Well I was pleased with my results. An A, 3 B's and a D. Yes the D was disapointing but may well be deserved. I haven't seen any feedback...is that returned to the school?
    What I was shocked by was 5 A's for composition....I don't think they all deserved that and one certainly didn't.

10. gliss

gliss New commenter

Congratulations, wish my results looked like yours. Can i ask - what aspect of the composition did your students choose. I had 4 doing technical exercises, 5 doing free composition - my concern is the marking of the technical exercises - 2 pupils submissions were nearly = in standard yet one got 18 marks higher! going for a re mark on this.
    Please tell us the secrets of your success

11. pauljoecoe

pauljoecoe New commenter

I haven't got a clue how I do anything...just do me best!
    Composition as generallly been one of our weak areas so I was suprised.
    They all did free comps. One did a bach prelude and fugue style thing, one did a song, one wrote a string piece and the other 2 I cant remeber. Generally I get the kids to compose stuff they have an interest in.

12. I'm so delighted I found this site. I have been in professional melt down since the AS results last week. My two candidates who were A and A* respectively at GCSE both received grade E from AQA. I simply do not know where to turn. I had been with Edexcel for A-Level for ten years and I moved this year to AQA (why oh why oh why??). All units were so poorly marked and my moderation slated that I've been doubting my own ability....the practical unit was given a D when it was clearly A/B....the examined unit given a C wwwwooooooooooooo...and finally the best of all MUSC2 - grade U...what planet are these people on? I had management, parents and pupils all in tears, I cried in sympathy with them all and my failing career. Has anybody any words of wisdom?

13. gliss

gliss New commenter

i totally sympathise..........As/A2 is a different ball game, but having said this ....how can we get it so wrong? my As results were ok..........but the kids think they were pants.....they think that they put in hrs of work compared to other As courses and the marks and time are difficult to justify .

i feel have over egged their expected grds cos if we dont have pupil numbers then the course will not run ...catch 20/2

14. hoildaysrule

Join the club 937379.
    I can't say how badly our comps and performances were marked. Well i can DISGRACE.

I had the same, comps given U,E,D they were clearly not, in a million years. I was thinking A,B,C. All in line with spec, grade boundaries as set out in spec....
    I spoke to AQA subject adviser, they were helpful but just suggested i get it remarked.

We even sent our comps off early to the board after being asked by aqa to help with standardisation. I think this will hamper a remark.
    I have totally lost all confidence in my marking, and i'm sure all the top brass at work will be blaming "poor teaching" The marking was poor, wrong and unjustified. Just have faith in yourself. I think something has gone wrong. sorry, know.
    phone the music subject officer and speak to her, she was very good on the phone to me and they need to know things are wrong, if they don't already.

:-(

15. Can i ask holidaysrule...what brief did you submit in MUSC2? Our submissions went early also to the standardisation process. I submitted remark applications on the day of the results..dont know what way that will go. It is just so soul destroying- in the same way as you the powers that be will blame "poor teaching"-I've been talking to the wall like Shirley Valentine since...although the wall has no answers..hopefully aqa will restore my faith in the upcoming week.

16. cuboid1234

cuboid1234 New commenter

Hi
    Very similar story to yours. I sent my 5 compositions off early for marking by a senior examiner. I've had the scripts back. Comments were ok but the whole set of grades were one down from what I had confidently predicted (I've submitted plenty to EDEXEL at AS in the past). They were marked way too stiffly for AS in my experience. 4 of my candidates got A's for performing, A/B for the exam paper and C/D/U(!) for the composition. Ambitious stuff too - ensemble pieces, chromatic harmony. Most recorded live. Loads of work. Like you, I'm getting them remarked but without much hope. Because we were dumb enough to send ours off for standardisation they aren't going to change the senior examiner's marks they used to set the standard are they?

17. We were very dumb to send the coursework early -never again!

18. hoildaysrule

For MUSC2 we did brief B, one rock/pop song, Jazz piece, piano sonata style of mozart, villia lobos/ Spanish guitar piece , keyboard piece. , small ensemble (mozart) All based on a certain composer/style.
    We haven't got any feedback regarding compositions what so ever...no scripts

Well like you say feel a right **** sending my stuff off for standardisation

I do hope AQA will see sense...........i doubt it however, but I'd love to be wrong :-(

19. Our results were also disappointing, specifically the Composition unit. Candidates predicted A grades came back with Us. I really don't know what they could have done wrong to warrant such a discrepancy. They all worked really hard and the standard was excellent.

All I can assume is that AQA want a traditional 4-part harmony piece in a Baroque/Classical style rather than anything more modern. Obviously I've covered the basics of harmony but the kids hate studying chorales, - but if that kind of thing is going to get them the marks...?

Next time, I'm going to make sure they can all pinpoint exactly where they have used cadences correctly, where they have used a dominant seventh correctly and so on, and write this on their commentary. If it is going to be an exercise in box-ticking rather than creativity at the end of the day, then this approach cannot fail.

20. Just wanted to check!! Has anyone heard about the remarks for any of the AS units...