1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA Modern Prose or Drama - context?

Discussion in 'English' started by Thelastchancesaloon, Aug 1, 2011.

1. I am a bit confused. About to start as NQT and adapting an existing SoL for the new spec to fit Unit 1 Modern prose for AQA. In the old spec, there was a definite focus on examining context whereas I can't see this is required for this unit (although it seems to be requisite for the Exploring Cultures unit) Am I misreading the spec or can I discount the lessons that focused on context for this module? It's a shame if it isn't because context is actually quite important in understanding the novel (LoTF) and I'll still build in some authorial background research for the students regardless.

Thanks

2. I am a bit confused. About to start as NQT and adapting an existing SoL for the new spec to fit Unit 1 Modern prose for AQA. In the old spec, there was a definite focus on examining context whereas I can't see this is required for this unit (although it seems to be requisite for the Exploring Cultures unit) Am I misreading the spec or can I discount the lessons that focused on context for this module? It's a shame if it isn't because context is actually quite important in understanding the novel (LoTF) and I'll still build in some authorial background research for the students regardless.

Thanks

3. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Having checked the spec and mark scheme, there is no requirement to address historical context but a necessity to address literary and moral context is strongly implied. The mark scheme mentions Golding's intentions, and I don't see how that can be addressed without some contextual understanding.