1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA MFL GCSE GRADE BOUNDARIES REALLY LOW???

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by nschweitzer59, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Is it just me or are the grade boundaries VERY low with the new GCSE? i.e really easy to get a C, getting B really achievable, and A really quite do-able!

Have to make final choices as to who I enter for foundation and higher tiers and kind of thinking : 13 for a C at higher and 22 for a C foundation means I can put quite a lot of them for Higher.

For those borderline students , it can bea bit risky but it looks like they're closing to the 13 at higher ( and getting it) rather than the 22 at foundation ( which they just about get!)

Would you agree that for Reading, Higher makes more sense as easy to get "cheap" marks , however how would you deal with the Listening?

Cheers.

2. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

Beware! Although the raw marks to UMS will be the same each year for Speaking and Writing, they will move about for L and R. The results should see a similar grade pattern to previous years. This year we have entered fewer students for Foundation, based on the June 2010 scores. However, there were not many entries for that paper, so it remains to be seen if AQA got it right in 2010.
    I would like to see the issue of severe grading addressed. They could do this in a subtle fashion over a few years.

3. Where have you got these grade boundaries from?