1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA Mest3 case study - help please!

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by oxy, Mar 8, 2011.

1. oxy

oxy New commenter

Can anyone answer my question? Can students do the same case study as you have done in class with them (rep) but using their own totally new texts? Or does it have to be a totally new topic / area?
    Thanks

2. oxy

oxy New commenter

Can anyone answer my question? Can students do the same case study as you have done in class with them (rep) but using their own totally new texts? Or does it have to be a totally new topic / area?
    Thanks

3. CarolineEm

CarolineEm New commenter

We 'model' how a case study should look (I do rep of disability with my group; my colleague does rep of women) but we then get students to do their own, entirely individual, case study (same with New Media Technology) This is so they can access the highest mark band of the exam: "very good critical autonomy" and "use of candidate's individual case study shows detailed evidence of independent study". I'm not sure that they could show this if they all do the same topic area? Also, won't you have them fighting over key texts?!
    Couldn't you get them to select their own rep to study? I get mine to follow an interest - so, the student who intends to go and work in Africa for a gap year did rep of Africa; another who wants to go into the army did rep of soldiers; rep of celebrity appeals to another students, and so on. Then they can investigate the wider contexts relevant to their own study, and it will be obvious to an examiner reading your centre's scripts that all have had to work autonomously.
    We start some sessions with a Sunday paper in sections, and each group has to find a media story to share. As they all know what each other's studies are, they tend to identify and even bring in articles etc. which are related to their friend's area of interest, as do I, so building up individual studies, (for both topic areas) doesn't have to be too difficult.
    If you want some ideas for rep studies to suggest to your students, post again!
    I hope this helps

4. oxy

oxy New commenter

Thanks Caroline - always helpful!!
    My worry is that the stduents have not got enough time to now do their own but I do understand your point and undoubtably some wouldn't find their own areas. Have spent far too long on case studt and done it much too in depth, much more like old spec really.
    Some ideas would be fab! Thanks.

5. CarolineEm

CarolineEm New commenter

This year's crop for cross media case studies on Representation includes:
    housewives, homosexuality, youth, London, criminals, masculinity, New York, WAGS, heroes, the military, police, Africa, Royalty... I get them to start with the central focuses, is the representation fair or unfair; realistic or unrealistic; harmless or harmful.
    For New Media Technology includes:
    magazines, gaming, BBC, film (making sure that is significantly more than just a re-hash of A/S Film Fiction study), television, newspapers, music, politics, sport, education (which I wasn't too sure about, but is actually coming together quite well)
    IMO, the focus as a starting point for NMT is opportunities and threats for institutions and advantages (and perhaps, disadvantages, although often not many) for audiences.
    I really hope this helps give you ideas to get your students underway on this. Do you get them to watch BBC Click? Selected reports make great lesson starters, and very useful for keeping up to date with NMT in media industries (especially for me!!)