1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA MEST 3/4 SoWs/advise/ideas/help!!!

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by teachertina, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Hi
    I'm teaching MEST 4 for the very first time and I was wondering whether anyone had any good ideas, schemes of work or any general information that could be sent to me.
    I'm very apprehensive about this so I would appreciate ANYTHING that people have got, even if it's just lesson ideas for the first couple of weeks or so.
    I'm sharing the class with another teacher who has also never taught A2 Media before and she is teaching MEST 3, so again any help with that would be much appreciated.
    Thank you in advance
    tina_harpin@hotmail.co.uk

2. You might find it useful before you start to have a look at the Teachers Resource Bank on the AQA website:
    <u>http://web.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/arts/media_materials.php?id=06&prev=06 </u>
    Lots of important and valuable info there.....

3. CarolineEm

CarolineEm New commenter

I've sent you an email, Tina. Let me know if can be of further help.

4. Caroline, Could you email me as well? I need the same help with MESt 3! Thanks!

5. DalekTeacher

DalekTeacher New commenter

Hi,
    I was wondering if you e-mail me as well at all as I would appreciate all the help possible.
    My e-mail address is: gm004g8556@blueyonder.co.uk
    Thank you,
    Dalekteacher.

6. Hi CarolineEm. I'm also really struggling to put together a SOW for both AS and A2 media. It's the first time I'm teaching it and I have very little support from members of staff due to inexperience. I would also love some advice and / or SOW. Thank you so much for your understanding.

Alex

7. CarolineEm

CarolineEm New commenter

If you've exhausted the material which AQA themselves have published, do you have access to mediaedu.co.uk? There's masses of stuff on there for this A level - MEST 1 top-marks exemplars; MEST 2 advice; work on Representations, New Media Technology etc etc. All is designed to help you put together and successfully deliver these modules.
    I also wrote 2 articles over the summer for the site, one on A/S and one on A2, suggesting practical ways to help your students get the top grades. Sorry if this sounds like an advert, but in answer to the request, "I would love some advice and or SOW", for a whole year's course, it's difficult to really know what would be useful.
    If there's anything specific, do ask (or use the blog on mediaedu) and I'll be happy to help.

8. backtoback

backtoback New commenter

I have found it really difficult to plan lessons for MEST4 and I did with MEST2 aswell.
    So far, they have worked in groups to discuss possible topics under each key concept and media platform, and identified two potential topics with ideas as to how they may approach them (what texts to look at etc). The last lesson they have been doing an example research project on the topic of the Representation of Women so they can build on their research skills (obv they cant cover this topic in MEST4 as Representation is MEST3, but we can see how they are able to conduct research - copy and paste from Wiki etc???)

From here I am going back to their orginal ideas and leading them into some textual analysis....

I dont know if this is right, as there is very little guidance out there for new teachers but I don't know how else to go about this? Nor do I know what I will be doing next lesson!!