1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA Media - Television Game Shows

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by pgiffney, May 17, 2016.

1. pywellj

pywellj New commenter

Expanding on the females taking on the assistant role theory, Ninja Warrior UK is a fantastic one for this as you have Ben and Chris as the main presenters and commentators and then Rochelle has the "how do you feel?" job. Think about how this represents women as the shoulders to cry on as a contrast to Ben and Chris having a laugh at the expense of the contestants.

oxy likes this.
  2. MediaShop

MediaShop New commenter

Hi all,

Hope everyone is enjoying teaching the TV GAMES SHOWS UNIT as much as I am. My students seem to be getting a really solid underpinning of the Institutional, Representational and Audience aspects of TV Game shows. I have produced quite a few resources, which took me quite a while to produce but definitely bearing fruit in lessons. Students are really enjoying it and getting really detailed in their analysis at the end of each mini topic I give them a possible exam question to get them use to writing.
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

3. Fidgetrainbowtree

Fidgetrainbowtree New commenter

Amazing - thank you so much

MediaShop likes this.
  4. mrbruceman

mrbruceman New commenter

Hi Mr X do you have a mark scheme for this?

5. Mr_X

Mr_X New commenter

Kind of (see attached).

Attached Files:

6. mrbruceman

mrbruceman New commenter

Thank you!

7. marlstew

marlstew New commenter

Mr X you are a real life saver

8. Mr_X

Mr_X New commenter

Lyns likes this.
  9. Mr_X

Mr_X New commenter

10. jenfer100

jenfer100 New commenter

Very much appreciated. Thank you!

11. Elissavet

Elissavet New commenter

Thank you so much for these amazing resources. It has saved me a lot of time. Just a quick question though. In the AQA Teacher's Guidance it mentions that: Reality television shows, although having many similar conventions (and often a ‘game element’ to them), differ as they usually have a focus on ‘talent’ or real-life/work scenarios and therefore should not be used in the study of television game shows.
    I was wondering about the X Factor that you use as one of your case studies. I think it's a great approach but would it be acceptable by the AQA?

Again, thank you for your resources.

Kind Regards

12. Mr_X

Mr_X New commenter

X-Factor is too reality-based to be used as an example in the exam.

13. Elissavet

Elissavet New commenter

Thank you, that is what I thought when I saw the case study.

14. emilylime

emilylime New commenter

Hi all, if it is of any use to anyone, I have added my first revision lesson focusing on format, codes and conventions free to use today. I have borrowed from your resource quite a bit Mr X so thank you for sharing that. Will try to keep uploading as I struggle to re-engage Year 11 and remind myself that it is always like this at this time of year!

Mr_X likes this.
  15. Mr_X

Mr_X New commenter

Hey folks. I would take a look at this show: http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/shows/remotely-funny

Uses new technology, YouTube presenter as the host. Lots of scope to adapt this CBBC format for a whole family audience or teenagers as the preliminary material usually asks for.

16. aussieguy1977

aussieguy1977 New commenter

Here's a planning sheet to get them thinking about their TV Game Show. There's an editable one in Media Studies resources.

Attached Files:

Mr_X likes this.
  17. 3raser

3raser New commenter

Hi.
    So far with my media class, we have for the design task we have practiced designing
    - a storyboard for the opening sequence of a game
    - a website homepage for a game show
    - an app for their game show
    Is there anything else they could be asked to design for Q3? Have I missed anything?
    Thank you

18. ThereAreBunniesInMyHead

ThereAreBunniesInMyHead Occasional commenter

Just for my own sanity, I have also got my students to practise:
    • A script for the opening for the host introducing the show, using formal script layout
    • A Press Release for the show advertising for contestants
    • A storyboard for the trailer / promo for the show
    Not likely options but I thought I would cover them just in case.

19. oxy

oxy New commenter

Can anyone define what is meant by the opening sequence? I'm thinking this would include the credits and then the opening scene where the host welcomes the audience / introduces the show rules / concept but not when they introduce the contestants.
    Is this right?
    Thanks

20. oxy

oxy New commenter

Great - thanks!