1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA Media - Television Game Shows

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by pgiffney, May 17, 2016.

1. pgiffney

pgiffney New commenter

Starting planning for next year and getting quite daunted by this topic for next year's exams - yes, referencing to codes and conventions, and then discussion re institution - but REPRESENTATION? How to get any aspects of this in the exam? - thoughts??

With ZigZag not releasing material until September - I don't want to be chasing my own tail - has anyone got any ideas as to how they are teaching this next year please??
    Bar an essay type q. on the c&c of game shows, and perhaps a storyboard for a trailer for a new one, really no ideas as to what can be taught...

2. Mr_X

Mr_X New commenter

Here's our starter(s) for ten...

Attached Files:

oxy, olikingdon, marlstew and 15 others like this.
  3. pgiffney

pgiffney New commenter

WOw- thank you!

4. kim_stockwell

kim_stockwell New commenter

Thank you for this!

5. Lyns

Lyns New commenter

Thanks!

6. joshfriday2002

joshfriday2002 New commenter

7. wiemaranerlover

wiemaranerlover New commenter

Fantastic starter for 10! Thank you.

8. Hellsbells86

Hellsbells86 New commenter

This is fantastic, thank you so much for the resources!

9. jsheady

jsheady New commenter

Amazing! Thanks.

10. joppon9

joppon9 New commenter

For representation, I'd definitely start with gender. Game show hosts on the whole tend to be male, with females taking on the assistant role. You could discuss this in relation to game shows such as Countdown. However, you could look at and discuss the fact that while the female assistant Rachel Riley is stereotypically attractive; she's also smart and intelligent and called upon to solve difficult maths puzzles; likewise with linguist Susie Dent. For age you could link to audience and different types of games shows, so game shows that require intelligence and solving puzzles tend to have older, 'wiser' hosts and contestants, while game shows based on popular culture/ trivia like '8 Out of Ten Cats' have younger hosts/ panels - again this can be linked to the channels that they're on, scheduling etc.

Someone's also poster a full scheme which looks good.

pywellj and pgiffney like this.
  11. sarah3008

sarah3008 New commenter

Thank you so much for the resources, these are great!

12. emilylime

emilylime New commenter

I would also discuss how they like to stereotype contestants and why they do this eg creating relationships with different audience members. You can also discuss dress code, non verbal communication etc. I will compare the rep of Ann Robinson/ Jeremy Paxman as the "villain" to someone like Ben shepherd on tipping point or Bradley Walsh as the "supportive friend".

13. wieldy

wieldy New commenter

Cheers dude.

14. abaine2

abaine2 New commenter

Here's a mock paper I adapted from someone else's.

Attached Files:

15. lapso77

lapso77 New commenter

Thank you abaine2. That looks excellent

16. hosyin

hosyin New commenter

Thank you so much!

17. GraceeeeM

GraceeeeM New commenter

These are amazing - thank you!

18. RedShark

RedShark New commenter

Awesome!!!!

19. emilylime

emilylime New commenter

Hi all, I have created a mark scheme which I use to share with students for this exam paper - thought it might be of use to others too. I highlight where they have and haven't hit criteria and it helps students to focus on how they will improve for the next exam.

Attached Files:

oxy likes this.
  20. Katieeferg

Katieeferg New commenter

Hi all,
    I made a brief that could go with the mock exam earlier on this thread. I wanted my students to practice working from a brief before their mock.

Attached Files:

marlstew likes this.