1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA marks

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by MereRoyaume, Aug 26, 2011.

1. I wondered what everyone thought of the controlled assessment marks. We felt they were quite harsh and have made quite a difference to our grades. All our speaking was marked down and then our writing marks came back about a grade lower for most students than we thought they deserved. I'm trying to work out how a student who got A* for everything else managed not to on the writing when she wrote 500 words per piece of flawless French with lots of complex opinions and A*phrases. What else could she have done? What's also frustrating is not knowing why these marks were given.

2. I wondered what everyone thought of the controlled assessment marks. We felt they were quite harsh and have made quite a difference to our grades. All our speaking was marked down and then our writing marks came back about a grade lower for most students than we thought they deserved. I'm trying to work out how a student who got A* for everything else managed not to on the writing when she wrote 500 words per piece of flawless French with lots of complex opinions and A*phrases. What else could she have done? What's also frustrating is not knowing why these marks were given.

3. I am in a similar situation, although not in French, in German. The writing assessments were, mainly, as expected, but there were a few which were awarded a grade less than I expected, but, interestingly, no-one moved up a grade.
    My gripe is, however, with AQA's assessment of the speaking exam... not one of my 16 students achieved the grade I expected.... by varying UMS points, not a standard amount [​IMG] Even dead cert A*s got an A, and not the A* they deserved. My assessment of the written element was not that way out so I am left wondering how on earth I managed to misjudge the speaking component so much.... or did I? I have been teaching 12 years and have never had such a poor set of results for the speaking element. Incidentally, it is normally the recessive skills which "pull down" students' performance, but not this year! I don't have access to the E-AQA area as yet, but am looking forward to some feedack to make sense of this situation. Depending on what that brings up will depend on what happens next. Not that I wish poor results, especially when they are not warranted, on anyone, (students or more importantly teachers), but I am glad that I am not the only one who is in this situation. There has to be something wrong!

4. All my speaking were marked down despite spending hours agonising over my marks to make sure they were right, going to standardisation meetings and really trying to make sure my marks were right.What really annoys me is that when I went to the meeting I was shocked by the work they were giving A grades to (I would have given it lower) and then my students get marked down. I don't think I can be that bad at judging it. I am really cross about the writing though.

5. I too attended meetings in which I was surprised by AQA assessment of exemplar material... I also thought lower marks were warranted. I am really gutted about the results... I had a fabulous class who really did work hard, many of whom were opting to study it for AS Level, but will probably not now. I also feel that I can't be that bad a judge to have assessed work so badly. Have you had any feedback from AQA?

6. We are really gutted about our AS speaking grades. I myself took the test and received an exemplary examiner's report and yet the grades for our group were nothing like our predictions. I am really confused by AQA marking and as a result we stand to lose many candidates who were considering A2.
    We had candidates who received very high marks in the paper one and barely scraped a C grade in the speaking examination. We are going to lodge a complaint with AQA to find out what is going on. Similarly, we found that the visiting examiner at A2 appears to have awarded a far higher range of marks than were awarded to the candidates I tested at AS(even the weakest vandidate at A2 scored a much more impressive mark comparably with far stronger AS candidates!!!).Our estimated grades seem to be completely wrong and as a dept with over twenty years experience we feel totally dismayed.

7. There is another thread about this too! I think there has been a LOT of inconsistency with the marking this year. Our speaking results were not changed at all for German, so we had that spot on. However, our (unofficial) writing marks did not tally with theirs at all and I can't seem to work out any pattern as to how they have marked them differently to us. We have to mark the writing element of the course or how else will we know what to predict? The students also need to know how they did in each piece of writing. If AQA are going to mark so differently to a very experienced department when it comes to the writing, then they need to issue some explanation of how they arrived at these marks and possibly even put some additional training on- otherwise it's all just guesswork :(

8. My writing marks were so out, it is unbelievable. No student scored higher than 64 UMS, despite having students who gained full marks on speaking and A* on Reading and Listening. Obviously, I shadow-marked them as they did them and having had 13 years experience of assessing coursework and never having had any marks changed, my marks were roughly similar to their speaking marks that were accepted universally. Out of 74 candidates the third highest mark on the writing was gained by one of the weakest students who achieved Ds and Es in all other components. I know for a fact that two of my candidates write at a standard beyond GCSE and yet they have scored a low B and a C respectively. E-AQA tells you no reasoning as to why, so I cannot work it out at all. Their responses were relevant to the titles. Needless to say, I phoned up AQA and spoke to a MFL team member who couldn't shed any light on it whatsoever, other than to say that I should request remarks which I will obviously be doing. Our Headteacher is really supportive and will allow a whole component remark as we normally get excellent German results. I've worked out that 47 of my 74 students have had a grade lower because of the marking, compared to what I think they're worth. I was expecting 11 A*s and only one sneaked it. The point is that some kids may now not take their German studies further, having loved it for five years. I have never, in my 13 years of teaching, been anywhere near as furious or frustrated as I am with these results - even drove 3 and a half hours from my holiday to get the results and see the kids.

I do mark for AQA as well, which makes it even worse! For those of you with queries about speaking component marks, you should already have received a feedback sheet from your speaking moderator which has to highlight any areas where they disagreed with your marking and why.

9. I am quite frustated too about the marks

first comment: the writing seems to be marked very harshly. I have a near native who is A* in all 3 skills and F in Writing!

second comment: I marked both spanish and french and we moderated as a department for the speaking. in french we were spot on and all our marks stayed the same but for spanish they took 7 marks off each task. meaning that my marking is being questionned. I find that very strange that i would be good at marking one language and not the other and get it so wrong. now i have to explain that to SLT. also means 1 student missed out on the A* and that 3 or 4 missed out on the C grade.

My students are in year 10 and will probably retake their GCSE but it will be hard to motivate them if what i predict is way out of what they get in the end.

who is asking for a remark and what are the chances of AQA realising that they got it a bit wrong...

Can not wait for my meeting with SLT!!!

10. PierreImport

PierreImport Administrator

I didn't even look at the CAs for writing. I just asked the class to do two, trusted them to do it properly and filled in the paperwork. They found it all straightforward really. I think they all got what they deserved from my knowledge of them.
    As for the speaking, I marked it as I did it. A colleague and I met later in the year, listened to a few, got a bit bored with it, and tinkered with one or two marks. The students found it all straightforward and they all got what they deserved.

11. My woeful results:

Listening: all pupils bar one have dropped 1 grade from the mock (2010 paper) - some have dropped more (1 pupil got an A* on 2010 and a D on 2011)

Reading: similar story - most pupils down a grade from the mock
    Speaking: all marked down from my grading. Most dropped a grade.
    Writing: most below where I would have put them.

Very very frustrating. Some of my pupils have straight A* in every other subject.....but not in German.