1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA marking ENglish Language Unit 3a: Extended Reading

Discussion in 'English' started by english.teacher, Feb 16, 2011.

1. english.teacher

english.teacher New commenter

Okay, I am really confused, but it might be like looking at the wrong spellings in student work and then questioning your own spelling... you know what I mean?
    Anyways, when marking this task, I am really doubting myself. What is the difference, in your opinion, between Band 3 'ability to display understanding of the features of language and structre..' and Band 4 'analysis of aspects of language...

For example, a student explaining how a metaphor works, such as when Benedick says he will not be put off by the 'paper bullets of the brain' - is that 'analysis' or 'understanding' .. ? or if a student starts discussing how the imagesymbol of blood could represent guilt in Lady Macbeth...

2. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

'Understanding' unless the student goes on to analyse the effect. 'Explain' is understanding.
    That's analysis - the key word in your post here is 'discussing'

3. regentsreject

regentsreject Occasional commenter

I generally think "Analysing" means taking something apart and looking at how it works so gruoch is spot on - discussing goes much further than simply identifying or showing a basic recognition of an aspect of language or structure.