1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

AQA Literature - Poetry - Moving Goal Posts

Discussion in 'English' started by salmon, Sep 11, 2020.

1. salmon

salmon New commenter

So... AQA have specified that centres MUST teach poetry for the Summer exams in 2021.
    This represents a complete turnaround from the message of 3rd August when they stated that centres could choose which of the elements of the specification could be dropped, following loss of teaching time due to the Covid crisis.
    As part of the planning team for a department that had chosen to focus on the Modern Play and Victorian Novel (and drop poetry), this presents an absolute nightmare in terms of re-planning the year's teaching and assessment, and in terms of relationships with parents who have watched us contradict ourselves in the space of three days...
    Can't think I am alone is feeling AQA need to sort their ideas out.

2. gruoch

gruoch Established commenter

Several schools I know of are switching boards for Lit.

3. littledragon25

littledragon25 New commenter

Looks like they've sent another email saying that they're rethinking their plans and will be back in touch early next week.

4. gruoch

Yes - I've seen that. Possibly not the best move, but I suspect rather a lot of schools were considering moving away from AQA. Whether this will change anything remains to be seen.
    I have to say that following AQA's treatment of their examiners in the summer, they are not currently covering themselves in glory.

cwilson1983 and littledragon25 like this.
  5. littledragon25

littledragon25 New commenter

From browsing the twittersphere it would appear that OCR and Edexcel have confirmed or have mentioned when questioned that only Shakespeare will be compulsory. I imagine the other exam boards will follow suit and so AQA will have to back down or risk losing swathes of custom.

Though maybe this is intentional so that they don't need as many exam markers, as they know how badly they ****** off all of those 3 months ago.

cwilson1983 likes this.
  6. roamingteacher

roamingteacher Established commenter Forum guide

What did they do to examiners?

7. gruoch

Unlike other boards, paid examiners nothing when the exams were cancelled.
    The most I came across as an ex gratia payment was £1500 and most other boards paid their examiners something. AQA just decided to abide by the letter of the law.

jarndyce likes this.